• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Radical Sign

GN0001

How to insert a radical sign into excel sheet? Under the radical we have a number like 23 and we want to get 20th root of that? How do you enter "20th root"?

Thank you for your help.

Guity

You have two choices

Insert Symbol - goto the Insert Symbol tab and scroll down to the Mathematical Operators Subset

Insert an Equation - goto the Insert Object Tab and select Microsoft Equation, Drag a Box on the page and then fill in the appropriate parts

Unfortunately neither the above allow for the inclusion of References

so you cant use A10 Root A9 where A10 has a 3 and A10 64 etc to get 3 Root 64

Hui,

I have been working on this for a couple of nights and this doesn't do what I need. You insert an Equation. I inserted an equal sign but I couldn't insert the radical sign, since inserting an equal sign dims the insert symbol. I have gone different routs, but I couldn't get it done. I can't drag a box on the page. Where do you drag it from? Please let me know. Or perhaps from what you say, I can't get what I need. Please give me more clues.

Regards,

Guity

Guity

In Excel 2010

Goto Insert Equation, A box will appear on the screen and an Equation Toolbar appears at the top of the screen, Select the various equation parts and type numbers etc as required.

In Excel 2007,

On the Insert tab, in the Text group, click Object.

In the Object dialog box, click the Create New tab.

In the Object type box, click Microsoft Equation 3.0

In the Object dialog box, click OK.

Use the symbols, templates, or frameworks on the Equation toolbar to edit the equation.

Refer: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/use-equation-editor-in-excel-HP010215799.aspx

In Excel 2003

Goto the Insert menu, click Object, and then click the Create New tab.

In the Object type box, click Microsoft Equation 3.0.

Build the equation by selecting symbols from the Equation toolbar (toolbar: A bar with buttons and options that you use to carry out commands.

To display a toolbar, press ALT and then SHIFT+F10.) and by typing variables and numbers. From the top row of the Equation toolbar, you can choose from more than 150 mathematical symbols. From the bottom row, you can choose from a variety of templates or frameworks that contain symbols such as fractions, integrals, and summations.

refer: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/insert-an-equation-with-equation-editor-HP001118120.aspx

Hi Hui,

I am still working on this. I can fill appropriate parts, however it is like a picture, it doesn't give me any answer. Is this how it should be?

Regards,

Guity

Correct

It won't answer it for you, It only allows you to present the equation as in a text book.

If you want to solve the equation either mathematically or symbolically you will need something like Mathmatica or MathCad etc

Back