• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Race Timing Spreadsheet Help

caplister

Hi,

I'm going to be timing a running race using an excel spreadsheet, but I'm not sure of the best formulas to use for this. I think I need a start time in h:mm:ss and a finish time in h:mm:ss and then subtrack the two times, but I don't seem to be able to find a =h:mm:ss(now()) function?

I would also like to sort and rank racers based on sex, age, time, and event type. Would a pivot table me best or should I just use the sort function.

It would also be nice if I could input bib number in a cell and be automatically directed to the person's info. Any idea what formula I'd use for that?

Thanks

The Function you want is =Now(), and the Cell Number format is h:mm:ss

The problem is that Now() is a Volatile function and so is reclculated every time you enter a new one.

To work around you need a helper column

Have a look at http://chandoo.org/forums/topic/using-timestamp-formula-for-version-control

That will give you some ideas for setting up a recording

Just worry about recording the Names and Times, you can do the sorting later.

Thanks Hui for getting me started in the right direction. I'll be sure to check out http://chandoo.org/forums/topic/using-timestamp-formula-for-version-control.

Cheers!

Hi Hui,

When I use command + ; to enter the function =now() the cell doesn't return the time in seconds. It rounds to the nearest minute i.e. 2:23:00 instead of 2:23:14. Do I need to use an applescript?

I've never used Ctrl Shift ; for entering times but it looks like it only returns Hrs and Mins as you've found out.

Typing =Now() returns the actual time including seconds

Did you download Larphs file from the above link?

It has a very clever way of allowing you to enter times for recording laps etc

Back