• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Problem selecting a range in VBA before executing an autofill

glennpc

I have a master table that gets updated with rows from a data entry table in another workbook. I used some looping to make it work and it works fine.

However, the first column of my Master sheet has an item number (a simple integer) and the ones that come over from the data entry sheet, when added to the bottom of the master also are in sequence, so the numbers on the master sheet for have column A looking like this:

What I want to do is to make it look like this:

In Excel, this is simple-- use autofill-- select a range including both the cell with the 131 and the cell with the 1 and drag down with the copy handle (or just grab the cell with the 131 and hold the CTRL key while you drag -- important if you get rows deleted so maybe directly above the 131 is NOT 130-- maybe 130 was deleted).

So I want to use the autofill that holds the CTRL key down. I recorded a macro to look at it the code.

After my rows are transferred, I have variables that I checked in the Immediate window-- I have the LastRow-- that was the Excel row number of the last row of my table BEFORE the transfer. I also have NewLastRow, (which I calculate with a rowcounter variable from the looping). The NewLastRow is the Excel row number of the last row AFTER the transfer.

I wrote the following code but and when it step through it, it always bombs on the line where I try to select the range where I want the active cell to be when the autofill is executed. I get a Run Time Error '1004': Method 'Range' of object'_Global' failed. Here's my code:

[pre]
Code:
'Renumber the new row item nummbers beginning with the next integer after the last row before the transfer

NewFinalRow = FinalRow + RowCounter

Range(FinalRow, 1).Select

Selection.AutoFill Destination:=Range(Cells(FinalRow, 1), (Cells(NewFinalRow, 1))), Type:=xlFillSeries
Range((Cells(FinalRow, 1)), (Cells(NewFinalRow, 1))).Select

Range((Cells(NewFinalRow + 1, 1))).Select
[/pre]

Can you tell me what is wrong with the way I'm trying to range select the cell in the A column?

Hi glennpc!

Code:
Range(FinalRow, 1).Select

Check by changing this to..

[code]Cells(FinalRow, 1).Select

Same for

Range((Cells(NewFinalRow + 1, 1))).Select

to

Cells(NewFinalRow + 1, 1).Select[/code]

Regards,

Deb

Wow! Thanks Deb. This worked perfectly!

I was concerned that once I could get the cell reference right, that the trouble would come by the way I re-wrote the autofill line, since I tested the autofill out on a blank worksheet and used Record Macro to get the code-- I had to adapt it to put the variables in. But it worked.

Thanks so much for your help. Much appreciated.

Back