• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Printing updated time in .xlsx file without changing any cell

IDidNotDoIt

Hi, all!

I have a non-macro file (.xlsx) which I can't transform in a macro file (.xlsb or .xlsm) due to security policies.
There is a worksheet that shows the actual time (let's say A1: =NOW()), but it only gets updated if a cell in the worksheet is modified or user recalculates it manually with F9 or so.

Is there any way to always get printed the updated actual time even if no cell has been changed? And I need to do it in a specific cell, so printing it at header/footer is not a valid option.

Thank for your time and best regards!

Edited: The main issue is that users keep the workbook file opened during their shift (4 hours) so if no data is entered (i.e., no changes to be made to the registered info) then the actual print time doesn't get updated.

Last edited:
Maybe a workaround with Power Query could work.
Starting from a blank Query that only holds the formula DateTime.LocalNow().
Load it to the sheet. Set the auto refresh interval to 1 minute or so.
Downside that table always comes with a header, but you could hide it via the table tools.
Never tried this and I'm without excel for now, but it could work.
While this refreshes it might be the workbook can't be updated by the user.

EDIT: or you the same via a legacy text import of a dummy value on another sheet.
This refresh might force the formula to update. Maybe wrap an if around it the checks if that cell containing the import is empty.

Last edited:
Hi, Grah Guido!
Thank you for taking your time to answer this post. I'm afraid that not all the workstations running this workbook have installed PQ -in fact just a few- and deploying it depends on another department, it's not so easy and immediate.
However I'll give it a try just to learn the trick of the day and keep it present for future use.
In the meanwhile I'm afraid I have to keep on searching for a solution suitable for the job.
Thank you again.
Regards!

Something like this in the animated gif. (nothing much goes on, but after 30 s or so, you see the formula being updated).

Attachments

• dummy Text import.gif
    dummy Text import.gif
    49.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Back