• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Present Market Share using Charts

Kmahraz

Hi Folks,
Looking for some ideas/ Suggestions to represent the market share for the companies listed below based on the their projected unit sales for each year.

Any suggestion will be much appreciated.

upload_2016-3-1_15-25-3.png

Attachments

• Present Market Share using Charts.xlsm
    9.3 KB · Views: 6
Since you mentioned market share is the story you want to tell, I think we'll want to focus more on percentages rather than actual value. I'll also assume that we care about market share per year, so will ignore the fact that some years have a total increase (e.g. 2016 has 488 total, 2017 has 654).

Since we're going time-based, I'd try to keep the data going left-to-right, since that's how we tend to perceive time moving. We can either calculate the percentages, or let XL do it for us.

Here's my 3 suggestions:
Stacked column chart 100%
upload_2016-3-1_15-38-57.png

Area chart 100%
upload_2016-3-1_15-39-9.png

After doing calculations in some separate cells, a line chart
upload_2016-3-1_15-39-26.png

Last chart is harder to read, and I'd probably only use if if my actual data had a lot of different components, and I was going to make it into a dynamic chart where 1 series gets highlighted red based on user choice. Otherwise, probably #1 or #2.

Back