• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Power Pivot issue?

Grumpy88

Hi.

I downloaded and installed the Power Pivot add-in for Excel 2010, but thereafter I couldn't seem to embed editable Excel spreadsheets into Word documents anymore (which is a very important functionality to me).

Is this a known Power Pivot issue, or did I do something wrong?

Thanks.

Good day Grumpy88

I use power pivot a lot and have never come across this problem, just pasted a selection of a spreadsheet into word and edited it with no problem. Insert by object and still no problem!

Not much help but all I would say is to check your settings :(

Any idea what settings I should check? I just reinstalled PowerPivot again and got exactly the same problem again immediately - an error message stating "Microsoft Word can't start the application required to open this object. An error occurred and this feature is no longer functioning properly." as soon as I double-click an embedded spreadsheet in order to edit its contents.

Just a thought that's come to me:

The Paste Special command that I use in Word 2010 to embed an editable Excel spreadsheet only offers the option of pasting it as an Excel 2003 worksheet. Could it therefore be that PowerPivot is incompatible with that version of Excel, and that is causing the conflict (I don't have Excel 2003 installed, only Excel 2010)?

Just wondering, because if I go the Insert / Object route instead of Paste Special, I am able to insert an editable worksheet (having been offered the option of inserting an Excel macro-enabled worksheet that the Paste Special route doesn't offer). Only hassle then is that I have to insert either a blank new worksheet and then paste the Excel data into it, or else insert a worksheet linked to the original Excel file - a bit of a schlep, but a workarund nevertheless.

Good day Grumpy88

I use 2010 and 2013 (full office suits)so I can not comment on 2003, but I have no problems in embedding as per your original post

You know what, never mind! It's official - my PowerPivot add-in for Excel 2010 is an absolute, unmitigated and unashamedly unambiguous DISASTER!! I have uninstalled it again (for a second time), and this time it will forever after stay uninstalled!

Accepting workarounds like that mentioned above is okay to me in order to partake of the promised increased analytical abilities, but when I subsequently discovered to my total horror that I now could no longer (since installing the PowerPivot add-in) edit existing spreadsheets already previously embedded in existing Word documents either, all deals were off! That was a complete show-stopping deal-breaker for me.

So ta-ta PowerPivot. I won't know what I'm missing if I've never experienced it anyway, but even if I did the price (at least on my system) of using PowerPivot is just way too high.

Back