• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

PivotTable Overlapping Error

json

Ok friends, I'd like us to put our heads together and see if someone else has experienced this error.

let me start off with...i have seen this error before and was able to fix it by moving a surrounding pivot... so i know (i think) why this happens and have fixed the issues before..... but this is something different.

i have a workbook with several sheets and one particular sheet has several pivottables. now, these pivots track volume by month. so the ONLY WAY these 'grow'/change size is adding a new column for a new month. THe rows are being filtered, thus will/should never change. furthermore, there are several rows separating each pivot. so on this sheet, i have a set of pivots on the left and a set on the right (approx 10 columns between them). i can refresh all of the pivots on the left side with no error... but when i go to refresh the one on the left, i get the "pivottables cannot overlap another pivottable report' error. HOWEVER, there are no other pivots to the left... in fact, i just deleted the 10 or so cols to the left of each pivot to make sure there wasnt something hiding. there are no hidden rows or columns.....
Strange Find: on the pivots that refresh, i can turn the subtotals on & off... but the ones that are giving me this error never show the totals row.... still no hidden cols/rows.

bonus: i have another sheet that contains ONLY ONE pivot. when i r-click and refresh i get the same message!?!
Edit: i just changed my filter to add a new column and it added no problem... but still gives me the error when i refresh

also, it appears that all of my pivots have successfully refreshed and are showing the new months data.... but i'm still getting this error.

suggestions!?!

Last edited:
just to add to this already confusing, nonsense error...

i took my new months data out of my raw data a sheet and refreshed my pivot.... worked just fine..... then i added the new data back and refreshed it again.... the new month shows up, however i got the error again.....

no sense this makes

Hi Json,

One straight thing that I can makeout is when the pivot table is refreshed, it does not consider only the filtered data. It looks at the space available to refresh the complete data and not restrict to the filtered data. Maybe, the subtotal issue is due to the space constraint too.

Your bonus issue is a surprise to me. Maybe, if you attach the file, we can look at it and help you out.

Cheers,
BD

well..... i never could find any information that solved my issue.... so i recreated 1 of the pivot tables that werent working just to see if it still continued and it does not.

so i went through all of them and updated them

I have the same problem and no solution. I have only 1 pivot in the sheet. What do I do? Thanks!

are you saying that you only have 1 pivot table alone on 1 sheet and it gives you this error?
hmm... a sample could help, but the first thing i'd look at is try selecting all rows/columns not apart of your PT and delete them/contents if possible. if that didn't work, i'd recreate the PT on a new sheet see if it works there and then delete the old sheet.

edit:
if you do prefer to upload a sample, I would recommend starting a new thread

Thank you for the response. I have only 1 pivot in this sheet. And I have deleted rows and columns, then recreated the pivot in the new sheet. It worked ONCE.... And now same error....
I cannot post the sample due to the data sensitivity...

@Dr. Pap
Hi!

Had read this:
@Dr. Pap
As a new user you might want to (I'd say should and must) read this:
http://chandoo.org/forum/forums/new-users-please-start-here.14/
then you should have noticed this:
http://chandoo.org/forum/threads/new-users-please-read.294/
from where I quote:
"Be wary that you are posting information on a public web site and that if you post confidential data, it won’t be confidential for long.
Randomize Numbers and Names if appropriate."

So if you don't help people help you... it'd be fine for everyone except you.

Regards!

Thank you for the response. I have only 1 pivot in this sheet. And I have deleted rows and columns, then recreated the pivot in the new sheet. It worked ONCE.... And now same error....
I cannot post the sample due to the data sensitivity...

I hear ya, I am restricted by my work as well by the uploading/downloading in of itself....

if you are able to upload you may be able to change the data? just a thought.

This PivotTable report cannot overlap another PivotTable report error mainly occurs when your Excel workbook contains multiple pivot tables on the same worksheet. But the Pivot table which you are refreshing is not the one that is having such a problem.
Here is the solution on how to fix this issue:
  • Tap anywhere within the Pivot Table. Now you will see that on your Excel ribbon Pivot Table Tools tab will start appearing.
  • Tap the analyze > Options.
  • In the opened window of PivotTable options go to the Data tab.
  • After that select the” Refresh data when opening the file” option.
source: Excel PivotTable Report Cannot Overlap Error

Last edited by a moderator:
Back