• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Pivot Table Quick Question

In a Pivot table, we can change the Data Source by pressing the Analyze tab, then Change Data Source (twice) and we will see something like this "general_report!$A$1:$AK$1315". This is the name of my table. I have to constantly change this field to accommodate the increased size of the table. Is there a way to represent this so that I do not have to constantly make this change? I read someplace that "general_report" will work, but it hasn't worked for me. Your suggestion will be very much appreciated. Thanks.

frank

In a Pivot table, we can change the Data Source by pressing the Analyze tab, then Change Data Source (twice) and we will see something like this "general_report!$A$1:$AK$1315". This is the name of my table. I have to constantly change this field to accommodate the increased size of the table. Is there a way to represent this so that I do not have to constantly make this change? I read someplace that "general_report" will work, but it hasn't worked for me. Your suggestion will be very much appreciated. Thanks.

frank
Hello Frank,
You can try inserting table to your data.
Insert -> Table & name it as "general_report".
Then you can create pivot table based on this & you don't need to extend or update the data source for this pivot.
Regards,
Thangavel D

Hi ,

If you see a data source such as general_report!$A$1:$AK$1315 , your pivot table is not making use of a table ; your data is still in the form of a range.

If your pivot table data source were in the form of a table , you would see the table name displayed , rather than a range referring to absolute addresses.

As suggested by Thangavel , convert your data to a table , and use it when creating the pivot table ; when you select the entire range , including the header row , Excel will automatically display the table name in the data source box.

Narayan

Back