• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Pie in Pie Chart with Defined Other Category

moeses

I'm trying to create a chart that shows the breakdown of what projects my employees work on each day. I want to distinguish from billable projects versus overhead projects. I'm building a dashboard that imports daily time tickets and generate a pie chart based off daily imported data. Some days, billable projects will be the majority of the day and other days, overhead might be the majority of the day. I would like to create a pie in pie chart where the "OTHER" pie slice always contains the overhead information regardless of of what percentage of the pie it is. The overhead projects are constant names, they never change, just their values. Is there a way to define the other category? A way to have the chart be able to tell what an overhead job is or isn't? See attached image of the chart. Let me know if yall need me to clarify further. I'm new to asking questions on forums :/

Attachments

• sample.PNG
    sample.PNG
    140.6 KB · Views: 13
Hi @moeses, welcome to this forum. Care to read our forum rules. And understand why we prefer a sample workbook to help you more efficiently.
For what it is worth, this kind of chart type is actually a bad choice for multiple reasons. On the blog of Chandoo there are great articles on that.

Alternative might be (not finished, just to give the overall impression). For one both should have the same scale.

@GraH - Guido thanks but for what i'm trying to do, the pie in pie is perfect for the information. as much as i'd like to share the workbook, it has personal information that prevents me from doing so. I get why you would want the workbook though. Looking the example that you share , is there a way to make the components of your "Other" category constant no matter their percentage of the whole? for what i'm working on, the individual components of the Other category will never change. just their values.

As it was basically the idea to have others defined as a category, so yes regardless of their % they are a fixed set of sub-categories.

Back