1. Welcome to Chandoo.org Forums. Short message for you

Hi Guest,

Thanks for joining Chandoo.org forums. We are here to make you awesome in Excel. Before you post your first question, please read this short introduction guide. When posting or responding to questions please remember our values at Chandoo.org are: Humility, Passion, Fun, Awesomeness, Simplicity, Sharing Remember that we have people here for whom English is not there first language and we need to allow for this in our dealings.

Yours,
    Chandoo
  2. Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

3. When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Pick Month out of a Date

Discussion in 'Ask an Excel Question' started by Shazz, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Shazz

Shazz Member

Hello All,

I Have a Cell that has todays date in it "20 March 2017", I would like another cell to show just the Month i.e "March", is this possible at all??

Shazz
    xx
  2. NARAYANK991

NARAYANK991 Excel Ninja

Hi ,

There are two ways to do this , one by using a data conversion formula , another by using a simpler formula , but changing the cell format.

Using a formula such as :

=TEXT(date , "mmmm")

will display the text string March in the cell which contains this formula.

Using a formula in B1 such as :

=A1

where A1 contains the date , and then formatting this cell B1 to mmmm will display March in B1 , even though B1 will contain a number 42814 ,which is equivalent to the date 20 March 2017.

Narayan
    Thomas Kuriakose likes this.
  3. Shazz

Shazz Member

Thanks, that worked great.

Shazz
    xx