• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Paste Special problem

mklangelo

Hello, I'm trying to update values without using formulas.

I wish to add 5 to each numerical sum in a range of cells.

I enter 5 into a cell near the data to be updated and copy it.

I then select my range and right click only to find the Paste Special is greyed out.

I did some other work with Paste Special on a different sheet in same work book and it was fine.

I'm using Office 365 on Windows 10.

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Hi,

To see if Paste Special is enabled:
  1. Go to: File > Options > Advanced.
  2. Under Cut, copy and paste, ensure Show Paste Options button when content is pasted is checked.
Ensure that all instances of the web browsers that you use are Closed and try to use Paste Special again. Paste Special will not function if your web browser is causing the conflict. Windows Internet Explorer (8-9) do not conflict with the Excel 2010 Paste Special option.

Third party Add-ins can cause a variety of issues, one of then being, conflicting with the Paste Special option. To determine if an Add-in is causing the issue:

1. Click Start > All Programs > Microsoft Office.
  2. Press and hold the CTRL key, and click Microsoft Excel 2010. You will be asked if you want to open Excel in the Safe Mode, click Yes.

Note: If you have an icon on your desktop, hold down Ctrl and click on the icon. This works with any Microsoft Office product.
  3. If Paste Special works in the Safe Mode as follows, enable your Add-ins one at a time until you hit that one that is causing the conflict. Leave that one disabled or uninstall it.
Regards
Jaya S

Hello, Jaya S and thanks for the help.

I started my Office 365 Excel in Safe mode and with no ad-ins enabled, Paste Special was not working on one specific sheet. It worked fine on a different sheet of the same work book. I've got screen shots.

EDIT: These pictures are captured in regular mode but the results were identical in Safe Mode. Chrome was not a factor in the problem.

Attachments

• Paste Special Not working.jpg
    Paste Special Not working.jpg
    292.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Paste Special Working.jpg
    Paste Special Working.jpg
    485.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Additional Info: Here are pictures of what I think means all Ad-ins are disabled

Attachments

• Excel Ad-ins.jpg
    Excel Ad-ins.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 6
  • COM Ad-ins.jpg
    COM Ad-ins.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 6
There's no code there. Which sheet are you copying the 5 from and which one are you trying to paste special in? Check the code windows for both.

There's no code there. Which sheet are you copying the 5 from and which one are you trying to paste special in? Check the code windows for both.

Actually, I'm entering the 5 in a cell underneath the table, copying the 5, selecting the data in the table above, clicking "Paste Special" and wanting to add 5 to each total in each cell.

What's confusing is the Paste Special works perfectly on the "Convert Formulas to Values Sheet".

Looking at the picture again, I see it's an xlsx workbook, so there is no code in it. Can you censor anything confidential and post the workbook?

Looking at the picture again, I see it's an xlsx workbook, so there is no code in it. Can you censor anything confidential and post the workbook?

No problem. It's just an exercise for a course. :cool:
From Lynda

Attachments

• 01-TipsShortcuts.xlsx
    272.2 KB · Views: 5
Hello, Jaya S and thanks for the help.

I started my Office 365 Excel in Safe mode and with no ad-ins enabled, Paste Special was not working on one specific sheet. It worked fine on a different sheet of the same work book. I've got screen shots.

EDIT: These pictures are captured in regular mode but the results were identical in Safe Mode. Chrome was not a factor in the problem.

upload_2019-3-22_5-49-5.png

Try doing this..or the below

First, try to run in safe mode : Excel.exe /Safe (in the run command) if that works correctly there, that means that it's due to either an add-in or a workbook that is loaded at startup.

(File>Options > Addins - uncheck all Addins) Note which ones were selected. Close Excel and then reopen it

If that works, then one of the addins was the issue, just have to find which one by reenabling them one by one.

If this didn't work, then it's probably due to one file located in the startup directory of excel. (ie C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\XLSTART for me)

Any file in there is loaded when you start Excel. Remove the files out of that folder and open Excel to see if the problem is gone.

if that works, add them back one at a time, closing and reopening Excel each time until you determine which file was corrupted.

Regards
Jaya S

Jaya S,

thanks for the reply.

Again, I'm running Office 365 and that the running in Safe Mode and checking Ad-ins had already been done to no avail.

The second idea with the startup file: Had no effect. And "show paste options" is enabled in the options.

Last edited:
I'm sharing it again just in case.
And the strange thing is, the Paste Special works on some pages and not on others.
Hi

Everything seems to work fine from my end in every sheet, it is giving paste special option for me in every sheet. really not aware where is the problem popping up.

Thank you
Regards
Jaya

Hi

Everything seems to work fine from my end in every sheet, it is giving paste special option for me in every sheet. really not aware where is the problem popping up.

Thank you
Regards
Jaya
Thank you Jaya and Debaser. I formatted that value several times as a number and I just could not get the options I wanted. I pressed "ctrl+alt+V" and got the error chime.
Day before yesterday I tried it again and it worked. The windows gremlin strikes again. o_O
Now I will admit to having studied Excel for just about two weeks so I can't rule out "Operator Malfunction" lol

Thank you both again!

I have got rid of the problem by enabling paste special in file options.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back