• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

opening an excel 2007 worksheet in excel 2013 without losing conditional formatting

Michael38

I have a spreadsheet created in excel 2007 and want to open it in excel 2013 . But I get this message: "We found a problem with some content in excel 2013. Do you want us to recover as much as we can ? If you trust the source of this workbook, click " YES " .
Clicking "YES " , the spreadsheet opens with some features missing, mainly the conditional formatting which completely lost.
Any help will be appreciated .

Sound like some corruption in the XML definition of the file, rather then a version issue.
Opening the file in 2007 version works?

What happens, if You click "NO"?
What happens, if You save that file with different format with Excel 2007?
What happens, if You try to open that file with other than those two Excel-versions?

Whenever corruption occurs in the workbook, Microsoft detects itself while opening the File and goes into file recovery mode. And Microsoft provides an in-built feature, i.e., Open and Repair.

Follow the below steps:
  1. Click on File and Open.
  2. Select the location and folder that contains the corrupted workbook.
  3. In the Open dialog box, select the corrupted workbook.
  4. Click the arrow next to the Open button, and then click Open and Repair.
  5. To recover as much of the workbook data as possible, pick Repair.
If this feature cannot recover your data, Choose Extract Data to extract values and formulas from the workbook.

f the automatic and manual method doesn't work, some other recovery methods might help save your data. But applying any recovery method, please save a backup copy of your workbook.

Recovery Method 1: Remove Unwanted Add-ins from Excel
  1. Open Excel, go to File>Options>Add-Ins.
  2. In the Manage box, click COM Add-ins, and then click Go. The COM Add-Ins dialog box appears.
  3. Then click the COM add-in's name that you want to delete in the Add-ins available box, and then click Remove.
Recovery Method 2: Run the MS Office Diagnostics on Windows
  1. Launch Control Panel and go to its Programs & Features options. You can just find and select the MS Office application and click on the "Manage" or "Change" button.
  2. Click on the "Repair" feature and start fixing the installed MS Office Suite.
  3. Choose the "Quick Repair" option from the given options. Now, you can follow a simple click-through process to fix any issue with MS Office.
  4. After completing the process, you can restart MS Excel on your system and check if it correctly loads the XLS file or not.

I hope these recovery methods can help you to recover your corrupted excel file.

Best Regards,
Loretta

Back