• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Office 365 (Office 15) Preview is released

Hui

Excel Ninja
Staff member
Hi All

Microsoft has released the preview version of the next version of Office today including Excel.

Office 365 as it will be known is available as a download here: http://www.microsoft.com/office/preview/en

It requires Windows 7 or Windows 8

Please use at your own risk.

Good day Hui

"Excel learns and recognizes your pattern and auto-completes the remaining data, with no formulas or macros required."

No more formulas or macros, one or two more releases of Excel and we will be able to throw all those books away :)

Sir the question I have is, wheather I will be out of work,

I have just started to learn Excel & VBA :-(

Too late I think.

Thanks a lot Sir, sometimes I get very pessimistic, good night...

I believe it is almost midnight in Perth.. that is why I said good night.

If I am wrong then have a nice day Sir :)

Hi Sachin,

We all will have our jobs...May be the the way we work nowadays will change as "there is always a better way of doing things"

Just like Ninja convert our complex approach to simple one....

Regards,

Actually Im really pissed at MS. Since Excel 2007. MS have recieved a lot of comments from people wanting new icons for use with conditional formatting. What me and many others want is a green arrow that is pointing down, and a red one pointing up.

Its not hard finding uses for this. For example, costs go down, thats a good thing!

There were no new icons with Excel 2010, and Im afraid not with 2013 either. Its really a shame. It seems to be something that would take MS one day to add this function. Really sad.

Bakkone

I can't disagree

I don't understand why they don't add a custom icon set either, even limit people to 64x64px icons

I have been using Excel 2013 for a few days now and its transition is minimally invassive

They have incorporated Power Pivot into Excel now called Power View (Good move), except that you have to install Silverlight to use it (Bad move)

The Time Line slicer is very neat

New Wizards to present best guess Pivot Table and Charts for basic users

New Autofill which is useful except flaky

New Relationship Builder enables limited relationships to be established between Tables bringing some basic DB functionality to Excel

There are some new Excel formula functions() but I can't find a list or a What's New page anywhere

This sort of summarises new things:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/ff837594%28v=office.15%29.aspx

But not the functions

Everything is annoyingly animated and I can't see a way to disable it

Excel help seems much more organised and complete

But generally I think they were too busy adding glitter and frilly bits

Word 2013 has some very neat new features especially drag and snap to Edges, Centre lines etc (Thats been lacking for a decade)

Hi Hui..

A silly question..

This Smile/Frown in top right.. the one and only colorful attractive icon in whole icon set..

is only in preview version for feedback..

or it will be with us forever in next versions also.. :(

Good thread. I have been playing with it for a while and I will publish my views in a separate blog post later.

What I liked:

- Power View

- Time line filtering, just wow

- Slick, light weight feel of Excel

- pivot & chart recommendation tool

- Ability to add apps like bing maps

What I found meh!

- Power view seems to take forever to open

- No new Sparklines

- Animation, almost un-necessary

- Overall Excel experience seems to be slow & buggy, may be it is just my computer.

Btw, Hui: you can turn off animations with Application.EnableMacroAnimation = False

Chandoo

Have you tried: Application.EnableMacroAnimation = False

I have tried in a macro and in the Immediate window

I get an "Object doesn't support this property or method" error, So I sent them a Frown

:(

It will also mean that I have to add this to every workbook therefor making them Macro Workbooks or it forces me to have a Personal.xlsm file to ensure it is executed every time I start Excel.

The option really should be a Excel system option.

There is a Registry Hack to disable all 2013 Animations refer: http://sumtips.com/2012/07/turn-off-office-2013-animations.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Sumtips+%28SumTips%29

Another annoying but small issue is what is the thing called?

Is it Office 365, Office 15 or Excel 2013?

They all seem to show up at various times and screens throughout the Installation, Configuration, Use and Help screens process

Good day All

In Excel 2010 when you open the program a worksheet called Book1.xls is opened, but when you open a file it takes the pace of Book1.xls which is no longer present.....but in Excel 2013 when you open the program a workbook called xl5galry.xls is opened and when you open a file this book, xl5galry.xls remains open along side your file, a minor annoyance but one I would like to get rid of, anyone any ideas

Hi Friends,

I also facing the same issue.

* I checked Statup Folder (C:program FilesMicrosoft Office 15rootoffice15startup) and delete the file (xl5galry.xls).

* I checked the XLSTART folder (C:program FilesMicrosoft Office 15rootoffice15XLSTART) and found it blank.

* I Placed a Sheet1.XLS, Book1.XLS (so that whenever Excel Open, It will Add this file as Book1,Book2 or add any sheet Sheet1,Sheet2)..

* But still I stuck with the issue, that EXCEL13 opens a Blank Window(with no ActiveSheet.. mean two Instance of Excel Just like View > NewWindow), and then it opens the Desired File (which I Opened)..

* I have created shortcut, and use some parameter also in TargetFile to open only the clicked file.. but failed..

Any suggestion..

Hi Bob..

Delete the file (xl5galry.xls).. from the XLSTART / StartUp Folder.. after any suggestion by anyone..

Bobhc

Excel 2013 has moved from a Multiple-document interface (MDI) to a single-document interface (SDI) and so Excel, opens each file in a new window instead of in a Common Excel window

I am not seeing an xl5galry.xls file when I start Excel 2013?

I have it running besides Excel 2010 also with no problems

Excel 2013 seems to do a very good job at retrieving your old default settings

You may want to check the default path in the File, Options, General Tab and then make sure the file xl5galry.xls isn't in there or change the default path to somewhere else

Sir whenever the time permits can you please explain two things,

What is the difference between MDI and SDI.

Also, you have mentioned "opens each file in a new window instead of in a Common Excel window" will this affect some changes to how we refer workbooks in VBA.

Sorry if I am asking silly questions.

Good day Hui

Excel 2013 has copied all files from 2010 and settings with no problem and I must say I am liking the program, it is just the annoyance factor. I have uploaded a screen grab which may make things clearer

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/75495784/xi5galry.xls.bak.JPG

Bobhc

If you goto the very bottom of the File, Options, Advanced tab (Where you are in your picture)

It will list a dialog: At Startup Open all files in:

Check that directory for the xl5galry.xls file

Or set your default Directory to My Documents or somewhere that xl5galry.xls doesn't exist

Restart excel

Sachinbizboy

MDI - Multiple Document Interface - 1 version of Excel running with multiple files open in windows all hosted within the same Excel session

SDI - Single Document Interface - 1 version of Excel running with multiple files open in discreet windows all hosted within the same Excel session

Excel 2010 was MDI, where Word 2010 was SDI

I'm not sure why the change? Please step in if you know

Refer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_document_interface

It won't change how you access files in VBA

Hui

I have done as you say but as you can seen At Startup Open all files in: is empty so I can not check for the .bak file

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/75495784/xi5galry.xls.bak2.JPG

Hi Bob,

Did you checked the below location..

* Statup Folder (C:program FilesMicrosoft Office 15rootoffice15startup) and delete the file (xl5galry.xls).

* XLSTART folder (C:program FilesMicrosoft Office 15rootoffice15XLSTART).

Hope no need to say, that change "C:" with your installed Folder location :)

Back