• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Non numeric measure not available in a powerview ?

Lolo

Hello,

In DAX (in Excel power pivot) you can create non numeric measures and display it in a pivot table.

For example a dynamic measure called STATUS, that return « SURPLUS » if the sum of values is POSITIVE and return « DEFICIT » if the sum of value is NEGATIVE.
I can easily add it in the pivot table and see the result, split by positive/negative.

But what if I want to use this text measure in power view ?
- in a table
- or as a color category in a map ? To be able to colour differently bubbles in SURPLUS or in DEFICIT.

The measure is not available in the table in the powerview sheet :(

Did you have already this kind of need ? How could I tackle it?

Thank you for your help.

1. Instead of using measure you'd use matrix visual with hierarchy and filtering to return desired result set in most cases. However, with right hierarchy set up, you can use non numeric measure in a matrix (I wouldn't do it in a table).

Have a read of link below.
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/DAX/147787/

2. Just use underlying numeric logic for formatting. I.E. >0 blue, <0 red etc.

I will check for matrix visual in power view, ok.
But I guess you are talking about power bi, not. Excel/power view...
Indeed the measure is NOT AVAILABLE in the field/measure list in the power view sheet.
So not sure I will be able to use it even on a matrix visual...

For the link, already seen it indeed.
Very interesting, but it deals with power bi too, not excel. Interesting for Dax part however, but visual possibilities in power bi are better than on excel/powerview.

In power view you cannot set map bubble color based on value, or I have missed something.
You have to provide a field that make the split.
Or you have to create a measure for negztive values and another for positive values, but in power view you cannot set 2 measures within the same map :( so obliged to create a map for negative values and another one for positive values, but this is not what I want :(

My concern was only about powerview in excel, but perhaps i was not clear.

Maps in PowerView or PowerBI has quite a bit of limitations.
I've used custom map in the past, but it was quite a bit of work, and I avoid it as much as I can.

In my opinion, in most cases there are better alternatives to maps for data visualization.

As for Matrix I'll play with it tomorrow and see.

FYI - The link is for SSAS tabular and not PowerBI, though Excel Power suites and PowerBI also share many of same features and share same vertipac engine

As for PowerMap color format. You can do this by using multiple layers.

1. Add measure for Positive Value & Negative Value to model.
2. To layer 1 add location and Positive. Set color.
3. To layer 2 add same location field and Negative. Set Color.

upload_2018-9-11_11-56-27.png

Back