• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Need advice with manuals and instructions

ham123

Greetings experts,

I am currently trying to make an excel sheet into a form and I am in need of a manual which contains instructions which can teach me (but not limited to):

- How to create drop down boxes and create the selection based on my own input instead of a range
- How to create drop down boxes and create the selection based on an external database
- How to format cells into checkboxes with requirements (example: can only select 2 out of 4)
- How to limit cell characters
- How to lock certain cells and inputs such that it is locked until you meet previous cell requirements
- How to permanently lock certain cells and rangers
- How to create an upload button and embed the file as an object into a cell

I am trying to avoid using VBA or Userforms as no one can maintain a Userform; I need it to be as sustainable as possible after I leave.

Any help is much appreciated!
smile.gif

Hi ham123,
I would first point out that this is the VBA section of the forum and so if you are trying to avoid using VBA, then this is perhaps the wrong place to ask the questions.
That being said, each one of your items above are relatively discrete problems each with solutions which can be found with a little googling - there is not enough detail in the items themselves to offer answers for the most part.
An exception perhaps being:
- How to permanently lock certain cells and rangers
This should be easily achieved by selecting the cells > format cells > protection > lock
Locking the workbook or the sheet would prevent the user changing this.

I personally use VBA heavily and so my go-to response for some of the above would be to suggest VBA for example:
- How to limit cell characters
I would use regex for this, through VBA - there are many tutorials and online resources for implementing this, the answer would differ depending on which characters are restricted and how you wish to prevent their entry.

I hope this puts you on the right tracks at least.

Stevie

Hi, thank you for your reply!
I think I will take your advice and just do that. If I have any other questions, I will just post a new thread :)

Back