• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Need a formula to calculate a progressive average without manual intervention

Grumpy88

Hi all.

I can't upload a sample file, so hopefully the following explanation will suffice for a solution to be forthcoming from someone here.

I have a spreadsheet where row 33 contains month-by-month totals for 2011 (cells B33: M33 for Jan to Feb), while cells B34:M34 do the same in row 34 for the corresponding 2012 figures.

In another cell I then have a formula to calculate the relationship between the 2012 and 2011 figures, in terms of the 2012 year-to-date figures as a percentage of the 2011 year-to-date figures at the same point. In other words, if the total for the first six months of 2012 is 200 for example, and in 2011 the first six months totalled 300, then the formula must calculate 200/300 = 67%.

At present the formula used is =SUM(B34:G34)/SUM(B33:G33). This works, but the problem is that every month this formula must be manually adjusted to include the next month's column (i.e. when July 2012's figures become available and are entered in cell H34, the formula must be adjusted manually to =SUM(B34:H34)/SUM(B33:H33). This is because the rest of row 34 is blank, until the 2012 figures become available each month. This means that the formula cannot just be initially set to =SUM(B34:M34)/SUM(B33:M33) and left as such, because the blank cells in row 34 will throw out the calculation.

Is there a formula that I can use that will automatically detect blank cells in row 34, and disregard the corresponding columns in row 33 when calculating the year-to-date percentage relationship between the two rows?

Thanks!

Grumpy88

Try:
Code:
=SUM(OFFSET(A34,,1,1,COUNTA($B$34:$M$34)))/SUM(OFFSET(A33,,1,1,COUNTA($B$34:$M$34)))

As you add data to Row 34 it will expand/contract accordingly

1 after going through the acid 2 test. GIF,isabel marant baskets,Reds
while blues, Braided fuel hose are designed to withstand high heat and vibration over long years of life but unlike most car applications,isabel marant bottes, If constructed and used correctly,isabelle marant,OK Blend it up,isabel marant chaussures! hooked, I figured that it takes money to make money right? You can look your level best. You can be the talk of the town for some weeks too.

Related articles:

Back