1. Welcome to Chandoo.org Forums. Short message for you

Hi Guest,

Thanks for joining Chandoo.org forums. We are here to make you awesome in Excel. Before you post your first question, please read this short introduction guide. When posting or responding to questions please remember our values at Chandoo.org are: Humility, Passion, Fun, Awesomeness, Simplicity, Sharing Remember that we have people here for whom English is not there first language and we need to allow for this in our dealings.

Yours,
    Chandoo
  2. Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

3. When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Multiple replace of different things.

Discussion in 'Ask an Excel Question' started by Pampos, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Pampos

Pampos New Member

Hello. Is it possible to replace multiple word at once. For example, I have that list:

A B
    cat dog
    love hate
    234 456

It' s long list. Is there a way that I can replace every word of column A with the word of column B at once? Not by use the replace option so many times...
  2. AliGW

AliGW Member

Copy and paste?
  3. Pampos

Pampos New Member

The words are in many different cells and sheets. I want to replace all "cat" with "dog" and the same time "love" with "hate"...
  4. AliGW

AliGW Member

Then do a global find and replace - select the whole sheet.
  5. Pampos

Pampos New Member

I have to do this for all 50 cases... I just want an easiest way.
  6. NARAYANK991

NARAYANK991 Excel Ninja

Hi ,

VBA will do it , but for that please upload your workbook , with the data in it.

Narayan
  7. Pampos

Pampos New Member

Why? I want to learn how to do it by myself.
  8. NARAYANK991

NARAYANK991 Excel Ninja

Hi ,

Writing code is made easy if details of your data layout and some amount of data for testing is available.

Once the code is written and uploaded , you can always learn from that.

As for learning VBA , there are a lot of good sites , one of which is :

https://excelmacromastery.com/

Writing code without an idea of how your data is laid out is a trial and error affair ; some code will be submitted ; it might or might not work ; errors will be pointed out , and they will be corrected , and this process will iterate till the code does what you want it to do.

I do not know whether too many members will have the patience to go through this process.

Narayan
    Thomas Kuriakose likes this.