• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

making Pivots off master project data but choosing which projects get calculated

tuxedo76

Dear All,

This has been a very helpful forum, and I've already learned a lot. Thanks!

I've created a rudimentary portfolio management tool for my client showing, among other things, charts regarding total budget, budget-by-fiscal-year, number of projects, etc.

It works now but my concern is that I need to pass it off to the client (our "transition plan") and from what I know of the person who will take it over for me, she's not very Excel savvy. No problem.

Here's the deal: I have a total universe of projects (on one Excel tab) of 35 projects. (This could grow in the future, though.) Every two weeks a group of executives review 2-3 projects, and when those projects are "approved," I have the go-ahead to include those "approved" projects in my stats (again, budget, etc.). That means that one month ago, my charts only included 6 projects (of the 35). Two weeks ago my charts only included 9 projects (of the 35). Two weeks from now my charts will include probably 13 projects (of the 35).

To manage this I create new Excel tabs with the subset of data that I want to calculate on. Probably not the smartest, but that's how I naively set it up.

As the person who will take this over from me will need something much simpler, my ultimate question is this: *When creating my charts and pivots pulling from the 35 projects, how can I pick-and-choose which projects get calculated into my calculations? (E.g., "This time I want to calculate stats from Project M, Project S, Project T, but not Project U, and not Project X.")

Confused? Probably!

Any assistance would be helpful.

Thanks,

Kelly

Here's my initial thought. Setup a lookup table somewhere, listing all your projects in 1 column, and an "X" in the 2nd column indicating which projects you want to include in Pivot. Then, go to the raw data for PivotTable, and add a column with this formula:

=VLOOKUP(Project_Name,New_Table,2,FALSE)

Adjust the range your PivotTable is looking at to include this new column (make sure you gave it a header!). You could then add it as one of the Page Fields, and have it selected to "X". Your PivotTable should now only include data from Projects that you marked on the lookup table.

For maintenance, you'ld need to mark/unmark the lookup table AND refresh the PivotTable.

Back