• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Lots of small values but a few extreme values - how do I present it?

Hi

Apologies for the cryptic title. I'll try and explain.

I have a lot of line graphs that I need to compare against each another. I have a common scale used on all (see my MAX/MIN question) and it's really helpful.

However, the graphs have a lot of their data stretching along the Horizontal axis around the same (-)3 to (+)3 points. But there are also a few spikes (not many) that go (-)20 to (+)35.

Because of the required Max and Min values my data in the (-)3 to (+)3 region doesn't have/show the detail/differences I would like because the scale is accommodating the extreme points. But I need the extreme points, so can't just get rid of them.

What best practices, tricks are there to help expand the busy area of a graph but still keep in those occasional extreme values?

If anyone has some ideas; links; or tips, they will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mike.

Mike

Have you tried using a Logarithmic axis ?

Where you have lots of points as you say in the +/-3 range and then a lot at say 100, you can use 2 charts arranged above each other on a page

The bottom chart has the X axis and the lower data with say a +/-5 vertical axis.

The second chart will not have a Horizontal axis and will have a vertical axis of say 90 to 110 and hence only show the top of the data.

Line them up and make the same size horizontally.

Draw a lightning strike line between the 2 vertical axis.

This sounds very interesting. Is it something that is 'commonly' used for such circumstances?

When you mention the second chart not having a Horizontal axis, how is that created? I'm not sure how a chart is built that doesn't have both axis?

I'll look in to it, but if you happen to know where an example of how to do this is found please let me know.

Thanks

MIke.

You make the second chart as normal and then make the colors of the horizontal axis None

or have a look here

http://chandoo.org/wp/2010/08/20/charts-with-small-and-large-values/

hi

Have you seen Fabrice's Treemap? I think it is ideal for representing disparate values, which it does by their relative size, and rate of change, depicted by changes in color.

best

drew

http://sparklines-excel.blogspot.com/2009/12/treemap-switch-on-light.html

Back