• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Lookup across a broken range

Alex

Hi there,

After presenting the most rediculously detailed financial model of a factory to my boss, he complained that I used arrays and If functions where I should have used the LOOK Up Function.

So now I need to change the function that a cell uses, the problem is I dont know how.

I've looked at various lookup tutorials, and now kinda get how they work, but am having trouble.

I have a table of assumption data for, the allocation of common expenses across three products.

At the top of the table data used by the rest of the spreadsheet will populate with data that is then used in the gigantic calculation depending on which scenario is selected (I'll call this the populating table).

I've uploaded sample data. There are two tables there, factory maintenance (which populates using an array, although Google has not managed to handle that, which would be relatively straight forward to swap our with a LOOKUP), and Division of shared costs.

For the Division of shared costs, its somewhat more complicated though. Have a look at the sample sheet here -

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AlJYmMeMJ83edGhHV3g1WXVsLVhTeS1aYVY1c2ZLRmc&hl=en

Is there a way to have an entire table populate based on a the scenario selected using lookup? i.e. when scenario 1 is selected, the entire populating table updates with it. Or would I need to use some other thing.

The problem is that the way I've structured the data, Lookup doesnt seem to work. I could change the structure of the data so that I could use LOOKUP but that would take ages and remove the logic to it, so I dont want to. A third alternative would be to ignore the requests of my boss.

I think what I want becomes pretty clear when you look at the if function I've used in the googlespreadsheet same.

Thanks in advance for any help, and let me know if more clarification is required.

Cheers.

Alex

Hey there,

Thanks for trying. For some reason Goole Docs is not as easy to use as I thought. I'l upload the sample to Rapidshare at work on monday. But in the mean time I have added you as a collaborator, and (I think) made the doc totally public. So try again and let me know how you go. Sorry for messing that up, and thanks for trying.

Cheers.

Formula suggestions, highlighted in yellow

http://rapidshare.com/files/395899037/Sample_Assumptions.xls

I've put up a version of a formula in case there are multiple nested if, is more easier to read (yellow highlight in COGS assumption table)

Hope this is what ur looking for

Hey, cool. Thanks a tonne. Also thanks for putting the spreadsheet somewhere more useful than google docs. I should have done that from the start.

All three of your fomulas are prettier than mine. A side question though: Is it best to avoid using arrays, like I did on the top table, because they are memory hogs? Thus I should save them for when they are absolutley essential? (Rather something I just read about)?

And with the bottom table, I'll adopt your forumla becuase its lots prettier.

But just to confirm for the inevitable "why didnt you do what I said" discussion with my boss, is it not possible to use LOOOKUP on the bottom table without having to make it really complicated?

Thanks again for your help so far.

Hi

To use a Vlookup formula there must be a unique key on the left (1st column); ive added one as an example.

http://rapidshare.com/files/396379598/Sample_Assumptions2.xls

A sum product formula may also be used

The new formulas are in red

In a small sheet, arrays would not slow it down,

however if the sheet is to be shared for editing etc and other users not as comfortable better avoid it.

The advantage of simpler formulas is that the flow is easier to track.

Back