• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Looking up a value on a reference page to a number I type

luckygoclimb

I'm probably wording the title wrong. I have two sheets. The first is a blank form for a character I want to create. On the left are the questions I want to answer for the character. For example, AGE. In the box to the right of that question, I want to be able to roll a dice physically on my desk and then type in the number to the box. Let's say #6 Then, I would like a formula to be able to go to the reference table on the second sheet and pull #6's corresponding word, in this case, rolling a 6 should return the answer (51-60) which automatically shows up in the box I typed 6 in. If it is an easier formula, I could just have it sent to the box to the right of the number rolled instead. So it would read AGE, 6, 51-60. If I were to type a 2 it would then show AGE, 2, 11-19. I have photos for what each page looks like. Top photo is first page, bottom photo is second page. I've colored in three sections to show where I want each information to go to. I'm not particularly saavy with Excel but I have to ability to google search if I don't understand an explanation. Most helpful would be to show me two or three of the same formula, cooresponding to two or three sections. The same formula used for AGE, and OCCUPATION for example. Thank you so much for any help given!!! I really appreciate it. I'm sorry if I overexplained the question. Better then under explaining it :)

Also, current version I am using is Google's Sheets on my account.

Attachments

• Untitled document(11).pdf
    327.3 KB · Views: 3
Welcome to the forum. As new member, you should start off by reading below.

Specifically...

Without sample Excel file, those that answer your question will need to first start by replicating/recreating your set up. Not many of us are willing to do that, and would like to spend time helping out on solution rather than spend time on figuring out your set up.

Help us help you, by providing quality sample file. :)

Oh, wait I had missed the last part of your initial post.
Also, current version I am using is Google's Sheets on my account.

Are you looking for Google Sheets solution? Or are you ok with Excel solution? If looking for Google Sheets solution, this site and forum is dedicated to Excel and we really can't help you.

As for Excel based solution. If you are looking to type a number in the cell and retrieve value in the same cell. This can only be achieved through VBA (or for Google Sheets, you'd need Google Apps Script).

If you are after formula based solution, you'd need to separate out the cell where you enter the number and the cell which retrieves info from Reference sheet.

See attached example.

Attachments

• Writing Character Sheet Reference.xlsx
    19 KB · Views: 3
Back