• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Looking for beta testers with 2007 or earlier

jeffreyweir

Howdy folks. I've been working on a file to emulate chart Leader Lines in pre 2013. See http://dailydoseofexcel.com/archives/2014/02/03/chart-leaderlines-in-excel-2010-or-earlier for a post I did on this.

Excel 2013 automatically puts in LeaderLines that connect any data lables to the actual series point in the event that you move the data label away from the point. Unfortunately, earlier versions of Excel only use leader lines for pie charts. So I've whipped up some VBA that does it using shapes. Only problem is, I have to do different things for Excel 2010 and for earlier versions, because Excel 2007 and earlier apparently doesn't have a datalable .width and .height properties. And I only have access to 2010 and 2013 for testing purposes.

Can somebody try this file out in earlier versions for me and tell me if the leaderlines get put in if you click on a data label and try to move it somewhere, or if you resize the plot area in these graphs?

Many thanks

Jeff

Attachments

• Leader lines_20140225 v6.xlsm
    95 KB · Views: 3
Hi Jeff ,

The leaderlines disappear when I click on the plot area or move a data label away from its original position.

Narayan

Weird. Maybe there's some property I'm using that doesn't exist in 2007. Hard to tell without stepping through it.
Thanks Narayan.

Hi Jeff ,

Sorry to bring bad news ; of course , it is possible it may be only my system , but the leader lines are going off in the wrong direction , downwards , away from the data labels.

Narayan

Oh dear! Must be another property I'm calling that XL07 doesn't support.

Will have to try and install 07 on a machine, or just give up on this.

Thanks Narayan.

Hi Jeff ,

It is not very robust !

1. It no longer allows me to move the data label from its original position ; even if I move it away from its original position , the code brings it back !

2. If I move just one data label , it redraws all the data label leaderlines

3. After several movements , I think the code gets tired of it all ! thereafter the leaderlines again become erratic.

The good thing is that the leader lines are , at least for some time , drawn correctly.

Narayan

Shame. It's very robust in 2010. Jon Peltier has given me some other ideas that I might try out. But this approach obviously ain't great!

Thanks pal.

Back