1. Welcome to Chandoo.org Forums. Short message for you

Hi Guest,

Thanks for joining Chandoo.org forums. We are here to make you awesome in Excel. Before you post your first question, please read this short introduction guide. When posting or responding to questions please remember our values at Chandoo.org are: Humility, Passion, Fun, Awesomeness, Simplicity, Sharing Remember that we have people here for whom English is not there first language and we need to allow for this in our dealings.

Yours,
    Chandoo
  2. Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

3. When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Looking for a range of cells to be returned...

Discussion in 'Ask an Excel Question' started by semper5, Oct 11, 2017 at 6:45 PM.

1. semper5

semper5 Member

I am looking for help in the following:

I would like the user to input a value. Then, ideally, Excel would look at that value, look for the matching value in a list, and return a range of cells.

Using MATCH only returns a single cell. Am I on the right track by researching MATCH still?

I am thinking only in theory right now, no working sheet. Just wondering aloud.
  2. semper5

semper5 Member

Ok, here's an example.

Attached Files:

3. p45cal

p45cal Well-Known Member

In I3:
    =VLOOKUP($I$2,$A$2:$E$6,2,FALSE)

In J3:
    =VLOOKUP($I$2,$A$2:$E$6,3,FALSE)

In K3:
    =VLOOKUP($I$2,$A$2:$E$6,4,FALSE)

In L3:
    =VLOOKUP($I$2,$A$2:$E$6,5,FALSE)
    semper5 likes this.
  4. semper5

semper5 Member

That's what I went to doing, I was just curious if there was a different way. Thank you for your assistance.
  5. Hui

Hui Excel Ninja Staff Member

If you are using Office 365 you can use Textjoin

=Textjoin(", ",TRUE,VLOOKUP($I$2,$A$2:$E$6,{2,3,4,5},FALSE)) Ctrl+Shift+Enter
    will return "1, 5, 6, 7"
    if I2 has Emp 1
    semper5 and Naresh Yadav like this.