1. Welcome to Chandoo.org Forums. Short message for you

Hi Guest,

Thanks for joining Chandoo.org forums. We are here to make you awesome in Excel. Before you post your first question, please read this short introduction guide. When posting or responding to questions please remember our values at Chandoo.org are: Humility, Passion, Fun, Awesomeness, Simplicity, Sharing Remember that we have people here for whom English is not there first language and we need to allow for this in our dealings.

Yours,
    Chandoo
  2. Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

3. When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Identifying Duplicates Across Row

Discussion in 'Ask an Excel Question' started by Jelizabug, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Jelizabug

Jelizabug New Member

Hi there!

I've tried to find a way to do this simply, but I'm stumped. I have a rotating roster of people who will be assigned to different tasks. They can't do multiple tasks on the same day. I want to make sure I'm not duplicating names across each row.Conditional formatting works across a row, but would I need to highlight each row separately to keep it from trying to compare down the column?

I know I could use COUNTIF, but I'd need to set up a complex formula to compare every single cell to each other cell in the row. I could also do an IF formula along the same lines (if D1=E1, etc). I'm hoping there's a simpler way that I haven't found.

Any thoughts? I uploaded a workbook with sample values and some comments on what I've tried.

I'll be happy to clarify if my question is as confusing as I think... Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. David Evans

David Evans Active Member

See if this gives you what you need ...

Attached Files:

3. p45cal

p45cal Well-Known Member

You can do this with conditional formatting. In the attached, the range D4:G16 all has the same conditional formatting applied in one hit.
    =COUNTIF($D4:$G4,D4)>1

Attached Files: