• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

How to verify whether installed excel is 32 Bit or 64 Bit?

dvm49

Hello, I wanted to know whether I have installed 64 Bit Version of Microsoft Excel or 32 Bit Version of Microsoft Excel. Is there an easy way to verify this?

Also, I would like to know their limitations in-terms of memory. Can someone help me out here?

Note: From control panel, I am not able to verify this as it just shows "Microsoft Office 365"

Last edited:
Go to File->Account and click on ? mark.
upload_2018-4-23_14-52-31.png

It will tell you bitness of Excel installation at the top along with version info.

Unless you have very specific need to use 64 bit installation and you know what you are doing. I wouldn't recommend it. 32 bit is usually more than enough for most uses and is default installation for a reason.

The reason for the question is, I am trying to do "Text to Column" against 50000 rows and it says there is not enough memory. When I checked the memory, it has reached around 2G. So I wanted to know the limitation of memory with 32 Bit of Excel.

Also to overcome this scenario, is there any better way? I mean the data is created via our Database and the values are separated by commas. And the need now is to split the data using the delimiter comma.

upload_2018-4-24_0-33-10.png

Without going to 64 bit installation, you can double memory limit for Excel 2016 (Office 365). Make sure that you are running latest update (see link for more info).

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3160741/large-address-aware-capability-change-for-excel

If this does not help or is already applied, I'd recommend splitting operation into manageable chunks.
Ex. Do text to column operation on 10k rows at a time.

However, 50k rows for text to column shouldn't take up that much memory in itself. I suspect you have something else that's impacting memory capacity.

Other things you could do are...
1. Turn off all unnecessary process
2. Turn off all add-ins for Excel
3. Set calculation mode to manual
4. Remove all unnecessary formatting from Excel sheet

Adding to Chiro's comments

5. Close all other applications, especially web browsers
6. If the 50,000 rows is on one worksheet and there are many other worksheets, copy the Worksheet to a new file. Then close all files and open open the file with just the data
7. As in 6, but import the data using Power Query, which can split the data as it imports it to the worksheet

@Hui, thank you for helping me out. Could you please tell me how to perform the below point with an example if possible?
7. As in 6, but import the data using Power Query, which can split the data as it imports it to the worksheet

Back