• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

How to show vertical drop in the Y axis (Line graph).?

Adarsh S

Please find the attached file. In the below line graph the line is showing a slope. But I need a vertical drop. How to achieve this.

Attachments

• Graph.xlsx
    32.1 KB · Views: 2
Switch to X/Y scatter chart with straight lines instead of a line chart. And adapt data series accordingly.
See attached.

Attachments

• Copy of Graph.xlsx
    32.1 KB · Views: 10
Using the above method I was able to plot the required graph. But initially I used Line graph (Fig 2 sheet in the attached excel) and added some information that makes the graph more informative. But when I use scatter graph the information like Pipe diameter along chainage, exact chain age at all nodes are not being able to update. My query is can we update the details shown in HGL - Fig 2 to Fig 1 with all the relevant information? Please suggest.

Attachments

• Graph.xlsx
    32.2 KB · Views: 8
I assume you talk about the data labels. In my version of Excel I can simply add them like for a line chart. There is a free add-on available for earlier version of Excel to allow easy labelling of scatter charts. Try to google that. I don't remember where I ever found that.

Your chart will get clutter however with all those labels.

Adarsh S
Why do You want those 'labels'?
You have Your data left side and
if You would like to see any points values then move You mouse over that line and You will see...
Screenshot 2019-12-06 at 18.56.57.png

Thank you for the query. If you open the excel sheet there are two graphs (Fig 1 and Fig 2). In Fig 2 the HGL (red colour line slope is almost flatter). We need to submit a hard copy to the client. Hence, we need to show the Data labels.

In the excel sheet, Graphs are shown in Fig 1 and Fig 2. Fig 2 is a Line graph and Fig 1 is Scatter graph.
My query is, Is it possible to show the x-axis length and diameter details shown in Fig. 2 to be shown in Fig 1? I tried the select data option, chart types etc. But was unsuccessful.
The length in the line graphs Fig 2 x-axis, shows the cumulative length in the graph. This provides proper space between consecutive numbers. But in Scatter graph (Fig 1), it doesn't show the exact cumulative length. But it shows with equal intervals. I would like to show the Scatter graph as Fig 2.

Adarsh S
... to submit a hard copy ... send a chart AND data-table too.
... #9 reply ... make a hand draw or show someway - what do You really NEED?

Thank you very much. I want the graph look like the below. The graph should have all the details shown in Fig 2 of excel sheet. But the drop should be vertical.

Adarsh S
... But the drop should be vertical...
But Your data don't have that kind of values to get it vertical.
Screenshot 2019-12-06 at 22.19.20.png
It would be possible to do by few tricks manually
You could split that orange line to three parts; before - just - after ...
something like this SAMPLE

Attachments

• Graph.xlsx
    33.6 KB · Views: 2
Thank you so much. I tried by splitting it into two columns but I didn't get that. This is a wonderful trick. Thanks.

Yes it moves vertical and horizontal. You have used the Error bars. Thats a wonderful trick. Thank you so much for your creative ideas.

Back