• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

How to sample data 1 time and permanently store in a cell without using VBA?

Goldcar400

I am using an Excel Real Time Function, =RTD(), which will constantly update when another program is active at the same time. RTD will not work without the other program.
I want to grab the end of the day data for storage but the =RTD() function is constantly updating.

2 Questions

1. Without using VBA, how to sample data from using =RTD() function one time and permanently save one time sample in same or another cell without it being overwritten? The Real Time Data function is constantly updating.

2. After 1 time sampled data has been stored in a cell, upon opening spreadsheet even though RTD function is not connected (the other program is not active), the previously captured data can sometimes disappear because it is waiting for an update. How do I prevent the data from disappearing when I open the spreadsheet? Or how to permanently store previously captured data?

Regards
Tony

Select the cell whose value you want to store permanently, right-click on its border, drag to another cell where you want it to be, and as you let go of the right button, choose Copy here as values only.

Select the cell whose value you want to store permanently, right-click on its border, drag to another cell where you want it to be, and as you let go of the right button, choose Copy here as values only.

--
Thanks p45cal for response

Can I automate the process in a formula? I need to do it across 300 cells. I was thinking about converting it to text with text function.

How would I implement my original problem above in VBA? (Sorry for delay. I am back to this project)

If I have RTD() function in a row for 365 columns (1 years worth). Each column would represent a day. I want to turn on one column at a time. I can use an enable bit like in cell B2 to enable which column gets updated unless you know a better method. All the past samples (days) would still need to be saved in same cell somehow. The =RTD() can be in cell or in VBA. I am open to implementation. I do not know which would work better.

A B C D . . .
1 =RTD() =RTD() =RTD() =RTD()
2 0 1 0 0

Back