1. Welcome to Chandoo.org Forums. Short message for you

Hi Guest,

Thanks for joining Chandoo.org forums. We are here to make you awesome in Excel. Before you post your first question, please read this short introduction guide. When posting or responding to questions please remember our values at Chandoo.org are: Humility, Passion, Fun, Awesomeness, Simplicity, Sharing Remember that we have people here for whom English is not there first language and we need to allow for this in our dealings.

Yours,
    Chandoo
  2. Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

3. When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

How to restrict a charts bar width?

Discussion in 'Ask an Excel Question' started by DNY, Feb 7, 2019.

1. DNY

DNY New Member

I have a chart with slicer attached to it. When I filter the data with slicer, the chart bar width gets increased . (see 2nd chart)

How to restrict its width to original size even after the data is filtered with slicers?

upload_2019-2-7_14-40-54.png

Thanks, DNY
  2. GraH - Guido

GraH - Guido Well-Known Member

One way might be to:
    build an intermediate table that uses the pivot data to show the filtered data and then you make the chart on that table. The values not selected should result in N/A so not to plot them on the chart.
    Basically your number of series remains the same. Thus the width will not change on a slicer selection.
  3. DNY

DNY New Member

Thanks! but I have a dashboard with 5-6 such charts which has the same issue. I will then need to build more intermediate tables, any other trick?
  4. GraH - Guido

GraH - Guido Well-Known Member

This seems to work.
    - Make a standard chart and set data series references to the appropriate pivot range

Attached a simple example.

Some things to consider, don't use grand totals, fix your axes, and perhaps some more stuff I'm not thinking about right now.

Attached Files:

DNY likes this.
  5. DNY

DNY New Member

Excellent!!!
    this has worked.. thanks for your help.