1. Welcome to Chandoo.org Forums. Short message for you

Hi Guest,

Thanks for joining Chandoo.org forums. We are here to make you awesome in Excel. Before you post your first question, please read this short introduction guide. When posting or responding to questions please remember our values at Chandoo.org are: Humility, Passion, Fun, Awesomeness, Simplicity, Sharing Remember that we have people here for whom English is not there first language and we need to allow for this in our dealings.

Yours,
    Chandoo
  2. Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

3. When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

How to repair a corrupted excel file

Discussion in 'Excel Dashboards' started by quarterdeck, Feb 16, 2018.

1. quarterdeck

quarterdeck New Member

There is an Excel file that contains about 50 pages with formulas and references. It contains tables with formatting. One day when you run the file has not opened writes that the Office has executed the error and will be closed after restarting offers to restore the file. After that restores: I see all the formula data pages, but there are no tables and formatting completely.
  2. AliGW

AliGW Active Member

You have two options:
    1. Go back to the last backup you took of the file (of course, you have backups ...).
    2. ... but if you don't have backups (why not?), you could try one of the many free online tools that claim to be able to rescue Excel files. Some have been known to work.
    Good luck!
  3. Joyce N Johnson

Joyce N Johnson New Member

If the Excel file is corrupt, you should repair it. There are many vendors in the market which provide Excel Repair/Recovery tool. But before you can purchase any such paid software, you must download the free demo version to check what you can actually recover from the corrupt Excel file.
  4. Logit

Logit Active Member

Here are a few suggestions I've used in the past :

RESTORE CORRUPT FILE

ONLY DO THIS ON A COPY OF YOUR FILE. IF IT WORKS, THEN YOU CAN PERFORM THE SAME ON THE ORIGINAL.

Restoring a Corrupted File

This is the reply from one of members re restoring a corrupted file

The techs at Microsoft were able to restore the Excel file!

I'm not sure what all they did (some of it was magic, evidently), but here's a tip they passed along.

If you're having a problem with an Excel file, save it as HTML (which is one of the file types in Excel), then save it back to .xls

They say that will often recover lost information, or restore a corrupt file.

=================================================================================

http://directory.s2services.com/excel.htm

'provides a list of steps to recover a corrupt file

=================================================================================

https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...workbook-153A45F4-6CAB-44B1-93CA-801DDCD4EA53

Another way of restoring broken/corrupted Excel files

I've been quite lucky actually opening corrupted files in OpenOffice, saving them, and then re-opening them in Excel. Sometimes the formatting will be a little off, but the data is almost always recovered, as well as most of the formatting. Unfortunately, not all of the formula and charts are, but when it happened I was happy anything was salvaged at all :)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also have had good results from these freebies :

http://www.appspro.com/Utilities/CodeCleaner.htm

http://www.download82.com/download/windows/excel-repair-kit/