• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

How to make an excel sheet, which can run only on one computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebjacob1978

Hello
I have an excel sheet, which I use in production for planning and other activities. I want to ensure that nobody copy this sheet and use it on another computer... Even if they do, the excel file should be useless for them on that computer, however it should work on the original pc, where it was installed.
If we validate it with a license key, it should only work for one time...
Can anybody help?
Regards
Jacob

If you don't want them to see the file, a password would be the obvious choice.
If they need to see it, try cell protection, you can block anyone from even selecting the cells. That option is on the ribbon - Review, protect sheet or protect workbook.

Possibly, you could have it check your username (the name that shows up on files modified and created by you in the file page, normally your PCs username) with a macro that runs on opening of the workbook/sheet to unprotect it and allow you to make changes (without needing to input the password) then another macro to protect the sheet every time you close it.

Thing is, if they can see it, they can replicate it anyway. If they're smart they'll open a second workbook and refer to the cells, then copy across. Worst case scenario, type it up.

ebjacob1978

You can do it by placing a txt/xml file on the cloud storage & then do validate the same on workbook open event which will check & store local variables in the local folder.

But, It's just nothing for advance user or having the idea of code.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back