• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

How to display excel dashboard on separate monitor?

Oxidised

Hi,
slightly tricky one... and maybe not excel related

I have a spreadsheet with multiple tabs that lists the delivery schedule in different each on a separate tab. There are 4 tabs I think.
I'm going to make a dashboard page that summaries the deliveries for this week in all states and then the boss wants it displayed on a separate monitor on the shelf above my desk so that my collegues can see it. I can get the extra monitor set up... but you can't really drag excel into a separate window like you can with MS word, so even using a separate file with a macro to pull the info out isn't really going to work.

Only way I can think of is to print it to PDF after each major change and then open that file on the other monitor... any other ideas??

Hi, Oxidised!
Is that an Excel related question? It looks a lot more like a hardware one.
Regards!

well, its not a hardware one, as I can do that... it is more a question of how do a pull info out of a spreadsheet with multiple tabs and display it in a separate file...

Hi, Oxidised!
A separate file is one thing, and a separate monitor is another thing.
Regards!

Hi ,

I know you have already made up your mind about your future course of action , but to me , it is still confusing as to what you wish to do.

If you are talking of a dashboard , is it an interactive one ?

If you are talking of displaying the dashboard on a second monitor , will the primary monitor be used for other work ?

Narayan

Hi narayan
I'll try to explain better. we have an excel file used to schedule deliveries of our product (has the whole years data in it). It has 4 different tabs for the different states (being in Australia they are NSW, QLD, VIC, etc...). This file is open and being worked on all the time.

The boss wants a summary of all deliveries for this week displayed so other people in the office can see what is happening, display only - not interactive... now if it was a database application, we could just write a report and have that up to be visible, but it isn't, it is one excel file - which mulitple people can't open at the same time. So I can make a new sheet that is a summary of this weeks deliveries from all states (just compare dates, and copy data over... do some formatting and all should be OK). I then want this summary displayed on a second monitor connected to my computer that is up on a shelf facing the other way (i.e. I can't see it while sitting at my desk.).

I first thought I could have the summary in a separate excel file, but when you have two excel files open, you cannot drag the 2nd file over to the second monitor (like you can with MSWord). So the only way I can think of doing it is to output the summary to a different file type and have that file displayed on the second monitor... I just then save/export/print every 2hr or so and re-open the file. So that leaves pdf or html I guess??? If it was HTML, maybe everyone could open the file and just refresh it at their own leisure??

Maybe I could put a macro button in my normal file that did a "save as html" or "print to pdf" on the summary page, so all I have to do click it after I update something???

Hi ,

I'll tell you what we have tried at home ( my son and I ) , and you can see whether it is helpful.

First , we have connected our TV set to our computer using a VGA to VGA cable. On the computer , we have added the TV as the second display , and configured it as an extended display. So what happens is when I use the computer , the TV just displays a blank desktop i.e. just the wallpaper , without the taskbar , and without the icons.

Now , I open two workbooks in Excel , let us say WA and WB ; arrange the view so that these two are vertically tiled , side by side on the computer monitor. Maximize the Excel window. Drag any one workbook to the right off the computer monitor and onto the second monitor. Stretch it so that it covers the second monitor to the maximum extent possible.

Stretch the other workbook on the computer monitor , so that you can continue working on it.

Instead of 2 workbooks , the same can be done with even 2 tabs in the same workbook.

Narayan

interesting... as long as the tool bars stay on the main screen that might work!
Just working on the summary page now and have run into another problem... guess I should start a new thread for a new problem?

Back