• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

How to deal with bunch of data in a single cell

shaikhrulez

Hello everyone,

I have a personal budget which looks like below (sample file attached), I enter bunch of information in Description Column which is corresponding to single entry next to it.

In column C (Calc) I am manually calculating the expenses occurred over the time as mentioned in Description Column until the Withdrawal amount which is 10,000 in this example gets Zero. I want this to automate.

Furthermore, the problem is when the month is over, I want all the description details at hand to do analysis of expense in each head , but since it contained in a single cell I have to manually pull over all the information from Description Column, which is time consuming and boring.

I was wondering, if there is any way I can enter each description detail and its amount in separate row and column which correspond to single Debit/Credit entry without using merge feature.

thanks.

Attachments

NARAYANK991

Excel Ninja
Hi ,

Surely what is relevant is the date , and if you can enter the date , the individual detail and the amount , with one item per row , that will make it easier to club entries together without the need for any merging of cells.

A simple SUMIF based on the date will club together all entries for that date.

Narayan

shaikhrulez

Somehow close to what I am looking for, but need some further adjustment. The transaction type is not only 'withdrawal'. It can be 'Paid through Card' or 'Online Transfer' which has similar sort of description and I want same result for them. At present the current formula in column I fails.
Have a look.

Attachments

NARAYANK991

Excel Ninja
Hi ,

Let us leave aside the issue of the input data format.

Assuming that the required data is all available in the worksheet , what kind of outputs do you want ?

Narayan

shaikhrulez

From the input data, I want to make pivot table which will show me head wise expenses on month to month basis. As mentioned below. At later stage I'll prepare dashboard.

shaikhrulez

Thanks @NARAYANK991 for sharing this wonderful post. This will really help in making my dashboard.

BTW, this formula has resolve the issued I faced above.

=IF(ISTEXT(E4), G4, SUM(J3,- F5))