1. Welcome to Chandoo.org Forums. Short message for you

Hi Guest,

Thanks for joining Chandoo.org forums. We are here to make you awesome in Excel. Before you post your first question, please read this short introduction guide. When posting or responding to questions please remember our values at Chandoo.org are: Humility, Passion, Fun, Awesomeness, Simplicity, Sharing Remember that we have people here for whom English is not there first language and we need to allow for this in our dealings.

Yours,
    Chandoo
  2. Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

3. When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

How to arrange data correctly to create a Slicer and Timeline

Discussion in 'Discuss Data Visualizations and Charting' started by Dillina, Apr 1, 2018.

1. Dillina

Dillina Member

Hello Guys and Happy Easter!! :)

Sorry if the question is stupid but I'm only now beginning to study Tables Pivot, Slicers and Timelines.

For many months I have not found the way (and I do not know if it's possible) to insert a Slicer into a dynamic chart (combined) like the one I posted here.

I have two tables (no Pivot) and I think that I have to create a pivot table to create the Slicer, but I do not know how to organize the data well because I see a Slicer like the one I drew in the file. I will also need a Timeline later.

I would like to click on "Apples" and only the apple line appears in the graph. Click on "Pears", only the pear line appears ... etc. etc. :confused:
    (Not changing the category of the Commercial name (Y))

If I have not been clear .... maybe it's because I ask for something that can not be done .... but I've seen a few things that can not be done with Excel!

I hope in your help :)

Attached Files:

2. GraH - Guido

GraH - Guido Active Member

No need for slicers this time. Radio buttons can also do the trick.

Attached Files:

Thomas Kuriakose and Dillina like this.
  3. Dillina

Dillina Member

Guido !!! :)
    But what a beautiful gift you made me for Easter !! :eek:
    Better than the egg !!!
    I love Excel and I love you !!!! :p

Now I study and try to understand how you did that I do not know well these "wonderful" Radio Buttons.

Grazie
    Kiss
    Dilly
  4. Dillina

Dillina Member

I learned a nice thing with Radio Buttons today!! Thank to Guido and :awesome:!!

...and for the timelines is there a solution?
    Don't kill me, please! :oops:
  5. Dillina

Dillina Member

Good morning guys,
    for the moment I invented (using the Macro recorder, because I don't Know VBA) choose the time frame and create a button that tells me in the graph the time I put in the macro.
    (I do not know how to insert the Tag for macros, for this reason I did not write it)

Graphically I'd like more a Timeline , but if I do not have any alternatives, I'll keep my solution.
    Thank you
  6. GraH - Guido

GraH - Guido Active Member

Hmm,... perhaps with a calendar table and a tweak of previous shared formulae.
    But if there is no selection with the timeline the offset formulas in the name manager return an error. I did not try to wrap them around an iferror.
    Not 100% the way I'd like it, but try it.

Attached Files:

Thomas Kuriakose and Dillina like this.
  7. Dillina

Dillina Member

Hello Guido, thank for your attention :)
    Yes, it actually gives me an error when it can not find the data.

Yesterday evening and today I worked a lot on my file and I think that for the moment I will use the solution of the post #5, even if it is not the best one.

Thanks so much
    Dilly