• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

How Excel Data Splits ?

Porag

Dear Excel Expert,

I've attached an excel sheet where I've Used Formula =LEFT(A2,FIND("/",A2)-1) for Removing "/" and Taken Left All Characters before "/"
Like Example Below

SIZE_IN SIZE_OUT
XXXL/XP XXXL
XXL/PP XXL
XS/P XS
XXXL XXXL
XXL XXL
XS XS
But when Cell value will come Like "XXXL" without "/" then Full Characters "XXXL" will come, only split Left all characters data when "/" come, yours help and advise highly expecting.

Thanks,
Porag

Attachments

• Data_Split.xlsx
    9.4 KB · Views: 8
Select the cell or column that contains the text you want to split.

Select Data > Text to Columns.

In the Convert Text to Columns Wizard, select Delimited > Next.

Select the Delimiters for your data. For example, commas and Space. You can see a preview of your data in the Data preview window.

Select Next.

Select the Destination in your worksheet which is where you want the split data to appear.

Select Finish.

Greetings,
Peter

Some good solutions (I didn't notice this question the first time around).
Of course, as someone that lives and breathes dynamic arrays, I am bound to prefer the @Guido's solution.
Only I would take it further and avoid relative references that give an array of single cell formulae of indeterminate size when one array formula will do the same job - and automatically resizes to match the source data.
Code:
= TEXTBEFORE(sizeIn, "/",,,1)

I realise that, right now, it is me that is out on a limb. Perhaps the day will come when I find my approach is mainstream (how many years to go until Office 2019 is history?)

just for grins, here is one more method with Power Query

Code:
let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table1"]}[Content],
    #"Extracted Text Before Delimiter" = Table.TransformColumns(Source, {{"SIZE_IN", each Text.BeforeDelimiter(_, "/"), type text}})
in
    #"Extracted Text Before Delimiter"

Back