• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

[HOW] Excel as Database?

BluLight

Hello!

just new here, I just want to ask how can I make Excel as a Database where 10 or more users will be writing and reading data from it, The excel file will be accessed in a "server PC" in a local network. I just don't know where to start, just some ideas will do, and also a much efficient way, if there's any. SQL is not an option since when I leave this, there will be no one maintaining it.

If a database is required, then why not simply use a database application, such as Access? Excel is not designed for the purpose. Sharing Excel files with 10 or more potential simultaneous users is just begging for trouble. What your are asking may be possible, but since you are looking for something efficient and simple - reading between the lines here - I personally advise not to use Excel in this case, as for it to somehow work properly would need some advance coding I reckon.

[EDIT] Some more context information on what actually needs to be achieved, the complexity of the process/Excel to be used,... might be required to receive more specific help.

Last edited:
Hi !​
how can I make Excel as a Database where 10 or more users will be writing and reading data from it
That's a very bad idea as Excel in shared mode has many features disabled and is very not a database software !​
(waste of ressources, very slow, data safety & security issues, …)​
Anyway if you're a gambler :​

well, looks like I really need to use SQL, thanks for the info, I might start working things out and make my project a fool proof, lol

In designing your DB, pay close attention to this white paper attached

Attachments

• fundamentals-of-relational-database-design.doc
    186.5 KB · Views: 4
Back