• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

How do you post tabular data in this forum?

jeffreyweir

...when I paste a nice table in from Excel here, it looks like it worked, but then when I refresh it looks unformatted.

Maybe someone kind-hearted could put a sticky up about this.
Case in point:

Numbers range Remove Duplicates Advanced Filter VBA SQL
1 to 100 0:02 0:00 0:02 0:08
1 to 10,000 0:03 0:51 0:03 0:08
1 to 100,000 0:09 Too long 0:06 0:09
1 to 1,000,000 1:01 Too long 0:32
0:17

Can't find one :(

Direct paste:
1 of 1 Large Large
1 of 1 Smaller than Large Smaller than Large
1 of 2 Simplly small Simplly small
1 of 1 Yes Yes
1 of 1 No No
4 of 4 999012 999012

1 of 1 Large Large
1 of 1 Yes Yes
1 of 1 No No
4 of 4 999012 999012

Via input window
Code:
1 of 1    Large    Large
1 of 1    Smaller than Large    Smaller than Large
1 of 2    Simplly small    Simplly small
1 of 1    Yes    Yes
1 of 1    No    No
4 of 4    999012    999012

Via input window
PHP:
1 of 1    Large    Large
1 of 1    Yes    Yes
1 of 1    No    No

Via input window
HTML:
1 of 1    Large    Large
1 of 1    Yes    Yes
1 of 1    No    No

Manual input
Code:
1 of 1 Large Large
1 of 1 Yes Yes
1 of 1 No No
4 of 4 999012 999012

Original
Sample table.png

Hi ,

I don't think it is possible ; when we copy from Excel as data ( and not as image ) , there is a tab between columns ; the problem is when a cell contains variable length data as in the following :

Smaller than large
Yes

When these two items of text are in the same column , the data in the next column will be one tab after the word large , and also one tab after the word Yes ; ideally , the tab after the word Yes should account for the extra characters in the earlier item ( Smaller than ) ; since this does not happen , the columns will never retain their tabular form , unless we replace the tabs by spaces manually.

Narayan

Unfortunately, it doesn't involve Excel formula otherwise it would have passed off as Excel Challenge #22.

I had tried the code window and I thought I'd succeeded but was wrong. See here:
http://chandoo.org/forum/threads/formula-challenge-020-conditional-count.11691/

If the following came out fine [Edit: It did not come out fine!] then you can use Excel Jeanie Add in!

Basic data

HTML:
Basic data

B C D E
2 Product #1 10/9/2013 41 AA
3 Product #1 10/11/2013 41 AA
4 Product #1 10/14/2013 42 BB
5 Product #1 10/15/2013 42 BB
6 Product #1 10/15/2013 42 CC

Spreadsheet Formulas
Cell Formula
D2 =WEEKNUM(C2)
D3 =WEEKNUM(C3)
D4 =WEEKNUM(C4)
D5 =WEEKNUM(C5)
D6 =WEEKNUM(C6)

Excel tables to the web >> Excel Jeanie HTML 4

Excel tables to the web >> Excel Jeanie HTML 4

Final try in this region:
Use a fixed pitch | Font | If you like
As it uses same | Width | irrespective
of the character | Being | typed. I hope
at least this | works | better than
above suggestion | Try | It!

Reserving this space to test out different formulas/tags/macros. :(
[t]
One line
two line
[/t]

Bob, it didn't work :( . I normally use it for MrExcel forums so just gave it a blind shot.

It looks as if the board software automatically trims spaces so fixed pitch font won't work out of the box. Perhaps only non breaking spaces [Char 160] will work.

perhaps we ask to much (no reference to Mr W Shakespeare, or Bill to his mates, and no SirJB7 I am not old enough to have known him)..........:D

perhaps we ask to much (no reference to Mr W Shakespeare, or Bill to his mates, and no SirJB7 I am not old enough to have known him)..........:D
@b(ut)ob(ut)hc
Hi, my friend!
I apologize for reading this a week after, it won't happen again... until once again invited to a few days off the city.
Now getting to the point, I'd never have even thought of you being contemporary!!! Everybody knows he lived in the 2nd half of XVI century and a little of XVII... so you couldn't have been school or forest mates... you've yet have been in your seventies for that time being... :rolleyes:
Regards!

@Sajan
Hi!
I assume that with the "Insert/edit image" button (4th from the right in the upper ribbon).
Regards!

Hi SirJB7,
It prompts me for a URL location, etc. Is there a way to insert it with a "paste" operation?

@Sajan
Hi!
This is pasting a link from DropBox:
How%20to%20selects%20cells%20that%20are%20linked%20to%20other%20worksheets%20in%20same%20excel%20%28for%20Rahul%20Ravi%20at%20chandoo.org%29.png

This is pasting a local drive full path:
"C:\Dropbox\Public\How to selects cells that are linked to other worksheets in same excel (for Rahul Ravi at chandoo.org).png"
"C:\Dropbox\Public\How to selects cells that are linked to other worksheets in same excel (for Rahul Ravi at chandoo.org).png"[/img]
(which seems do not be working... ergo I assume: links from cloud services or web sites).
Regards!

EDITED

PS: For local files it doesn't work neither directly nor editing and pasting the link.

EDITED bis

C:\Dropbox\Public\How to selects cells that are linked to other worksheets in same excel (for Rahul Ravi at chandoo.org).png

Perhaps we should wait for Xiq to reply as to how he managed to paste an image in his post. I do recall Hui describing the possibility of pasting actual Excel tables, etc. when he was first describing the new forum software. Not sure if I am remembering that incorrectly.

sample screenshot.png

When you upload a picture via the forums "upload a file" function, you get the options "Thumbnail", "Full Image" and "Delete".
I of course selected "Full Image".

PS: I saved the image as a png-file. Maybe this is related ;)

@Xiq
Hi!
Thanks for the tip, as you might have discovered we didn't know about it.
Regards!

@Sajan!
Hi!
Gotcha!!!
Regards!

Back