1. Welcome to Chandoo.org Forums. Short message for you

Hi Guest,

Thanks for joining Chandoo.org forums. We are here to make you awesome in Excel. Before you post your first question, please read this short introduction guide. When posting or responding to questions please remember our values at Chandoo.org are: Humility, Passion, Fun, Awesomeness, Simplicity, Sharing Remember that we have people here for whom English is not there first language and we need to allow for this in our dealings.

Yours,
    Chandoo
  2. Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

3. When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

How do we plot triangles/polygons in excel

Discussion in 'Discuss Data Visualizations and Charting' started by Bhavesh Agarwal, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Bhavesh Agarwal

Bhavesh Agarwal New Member

Hi All,

I am new to this forum, but have been a follower of excel teachings by Chandoo. Special thanks to Chandoo for putting up so much useful information online for us to learn!

My query is --> As a comparison chart, can we plot percentages/numeric values as area of triangles or other shapes. Basically for example, there would be a small triangle with area of 10%, next would be of 35% and biggest would be a 100% area triangle...

I have tried a lot of different ways to do it in excel, but didn't get it...
    Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
    Bhavesh Agarwal
  2. Hui

Hui Excel Ninja Staff Member

Can you sketch a few examples and post them here?
  3. NARAYANK991

NARAYANK991 Excel Ninja

Hi Bhavesh ,

I would advise against it.

It is more difficult to estimate the areas of shapes than it is to estimate the heights / lengths of bars.

A simple column / bar or even a line chart can be more informative than an area chart.

How exactly can a user appreciate that one value is one and a half times another value , given two triangles or polygons ?

Given two bars , one can easily estimate that one bar is one and a half times another bar.

Narayan
  4. Hui

Hui Excel Ninja Staff Member

Bhavesh,
    Firstly, Welcome to the Chandoo.org Forums

I agree with Narayan's comments

why:

because of this

upload_2018-3-7_22-58-52.png

Those are your 3, 10%, 35% and 100% Triangles

Do they really assist the reader to understand what is going on ?

To see how they are made please see attached file:

Attached Files:

5. vletm

vletm Excel Ninja

Screen Shot 2018-03-07 at 19.15.17.png
    Dillina likes this.
  6. vletm

vletm Excel Ninja

Bhavesh Agarwal
    You could test this too ...
    You can change values which has heavy borders.

Attached Files:

Dillina likes this.