• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

How do i get certain text to populate in a cell depending on the content of another without using number hiding formatting?

Excelnewman

This is a financial worksheet calculating how many lost or won trades have been completed within a month period.

I am trying to get cell ```I5``` on sheet ```MONTHLY STATS - SPREADS``` to populate a ```0``` if there have been no ```L```'s to count between the dates of 1 Feb 21 and 28 Feb 21 on sheet ```SPREADS LOG```.

But I only want this ```0``` to populate if there is data present in cell ```H5```. If there is no data in ```H5```I would like ```I5``` to be blank. (note I cannot use a number format to hide these ```0```'s in cell ```I5``` as I am trying to average the complete ```I``` column )

Whilst it is doing this cell ```I5``` must also be able to run the ```COUNTIFS``` & ```SUM``` formulas shown below.

This is the current formula in cell ```I5``` :

```=IF(SUM(COUNTIFS('SPREADS LOG'!P: P,{"L"},'SPREADS LOG'!R:R,">="&DATE(2021,2,1),'SPREADS LOG'!R:R,"<="&DATE(2021,2,28)))=0,"",SUM(COUNTIFS('SPREADS LOG'!P: P,{"L"},'SPREADS LOG'!R:R,">="&DATE(2021,2,1),'SPREADS LOG'!R:R,"<="&DATE(2021,2,28))))```

If someone could tweak this formula, that would be great.

Excelnewman
Of course, You read Forum Rules before Your the1st posting or how?
Please, reread those and
focus with How to get the Best Results at Chandoo.org-part.
Other than You would have some challenges to ... verify ... any of Your formulas or something
... without something ... ... a sample file.

It took a bit of reverse engineering to formulate the problem. I got to
Code:
= IF(
      SUM(
         COUNTIFS(
            Log[LostWon],{"L"},
            Log[Date],">="&DATE(2021,2,1),
            Log[Date],"<="&DATE(2021,2,28))
         )=0,
      "",
      SUM(
         COUNTIFS(
            Log[LostWon],{"L"},
            Log[Date],"<="&DATE(2021,2,28))
         )
      )
My observations would be that the SUM is superfluous unless {"L"} is a multi-term array constant. A further trick to avoid the need to recalculate the non-zero results would be to force an error by dividing into 1 twice and trapping the error with IFERROR. That would give
Code:
= IFERROR(
      1/(1/
         COUNTIFS(
            Log[LostWon],{"L"},
            Log[Date],"<="&DATE(2021,2,28))),
      "" )
For Excel 365, one could use
Code:
= LET(
      lost, COUNTIFS(