• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

How do I find files which contain user forms.

Lymm

Over the years I have made various user forms which I havent used for a while and dont remember which files they are in. I am using excel 2003 on win 7 Is there any way of listing the files which contain user forms. I am going to make a new user form and would like to incorporate some of the features from previous forms. Is this possible? Thank you.

Lymm

Thats an interesting question

For a start they will be either *.xlsm or *.xlsb files (Excel 2007/10 only)

How many files are you referring too?

Are they in one directory or multiple?

Hi, Lymm!

There have been times when I would have given more than... 1 buck?... for having such a tool. So someone had to write it. Here it is:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/60558749/How%20do%20I%20find%20files%20which%20contain%20user%20forms.%20%28for%20Lymm%20at%20chandoo.org%29.xlsm

Just place this workbook in any folder, close all Excel instances that might be running, open this workbook, press the cyan command button... et voilá, c'est tout!

Screen is freezed so give it time to work, will beep when finish. It works with all *.xl* files, and with my chandoo folder it didn't crashed... and I have such files in there...

As to be useful for me, it not only tells you what files have user forms, but it tells you everything about worksheets, charts, macro & dialog sheets, modules, class modules and userforms: count, order & name for each one.

It has certain constraints, as follows:

- it doesn't work with subfolders

- if a workbook opens other workbooks, it might duplicate the data or cancel at that opened file

- if a workbook has an auto open macro, it will run... and only you know what might it do

- if a workbook is password protected a message is set in last column

Hope you like it. Now it's part of my swiss knife ...or that was NetCat 1.11? ;)

Regards!

Hi, NARAYANK991!

I really cursed and blasphemed many times in several languages that I even didn't know ​​for not finding something that I knew it was "there" but I couldn't locate it anyhow. So this time have been 45' well spent: Lymm wanted that, I strongly needed that and certainly many more will find it useful.

Regards!

Wow, thank you very much. I cant wait to try it.

Will it work with excel 2003?

The comand button does not seem to have any related code?

Hi, Lymmm!

I can't test it on an Excel version 2003, but I think I didn't use anything very new from 2007/2010 versions.

To check if the command button has related code or not (that it has), go to the VBA editor (Alt-F11) and check within the Workbooks worksheet window if there is this code:

-----

`Option Explicit

Private Sub cmdProcessFolder_Click()

LoadWorkbooksInfo

End Sub

-----

There is a module called Módulo1 too which holds the main code.

If you can't find them, just advise and I'll send you a .xls file.

Regards!

Hi SrJB7 I found the code and clicked on run. (It does not run from the button, but I can probably fix that.) Lots of scary processing went on, I think it worked. I am about to check. Thank you. How do I tell it which folder to process. It has processed one folder called "ExcelStuff", not sure how it found that one. Ok that folder was where I had the file saved. What is the best way to use this then. I did a save as and saved it in a different folder which it then processed, but I dont think this is quite what I should be doing??

Hi, Lymm!

If when clicking on button code isn't executed, check macro configuration (in 2010 Version, File tab, Options, Trust Center, Trust Center Setup, Trusted Locations and/or Macro Configuration: in this last one, at least set to Disable All With Notification and set Programmer Macro Setup to on -trust in access to VBA project object model-) or design mode (Programmer tab, Controls group, Design Mode icon, and set to off -unselected-).

I assume that if you can run the macro, first option isn't necessary and your issue must be the second one. If not, I don't guess what might be.

About the folder, it always works on the actual folder where the file is stored and doesn't recurse on subfolders (see my post http://chandoo.org/forums/topic/how-do-i-find-files-which-contain-user-forms#post-24193). So yes, that's the process, copy the file to the folder to be examined, open it, click on button, and nothing more.

Regards!

Thank you SirJB7, The macro is finding and listing all the sheets in the files in the active folder but I am not getting any modules or userforms listed. Do I need to change the code to work with excel 2003 ie excel 11??

Hi, Lymm!

Sincerely I don't remember, I switched to 2007 when it was released and did the same with 2010, so I don't know if there's such a change in VBA since 2003 version.

Let's do something, I'll upload a file that has 3 worksheets, 2 charts, 3 macros, 2 intl macros, 1 dialog 4 modules, 2 class modules and 3 userforms. You'll find in two versions, .xlsx (2007/2010) and .xls (2003). I'll upload too the original files as I changed a bit MacroIntl data.

If you get the same data as above for both, it's all Ok. If you get it only for .xlsx version or for .xls version, well, I'd have to get my hands on a computer with an older Excel version. Do you use TeamViewer, LogMeIn or any other remote support software in that machine? If so, I could enter to debug the code to check a couple of values; if not, you should do it by yourself following the instructions I'd provide.

First, here are the 3 files:

- the one with the button

- the .xlsx test

- the .xls test

In the first you can see what data it retrieved in a 2010 version. Then you should run it on a clean folder with 3 files and compare the output. If similar, we're done; if not, then plan B.

Link:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/60558749/Lymm.rar

Regards!

@NARANYANK991

Hi!

If you happen to read this, download again the original file from previous .rar link as there's been a slight modification in MacroIntlData.

Regards!

Sorry I could not open the rar file. I have tried running the macro on a folder i know has userforms in it but it does not list the forms.

Hi Pablo ,

I downloaded the .rar file from your most recent post :

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/60558749/Lymm.rar

and executed the macro in your .xlsm file ( by clicking on the button ) and it gives the right result. No problem.

Narayan

Lymm

You may need to download a Win RAR file unzip utility

I use WinRAR http://www.rarlab.com/

But a number of other unzippers support RAR files as well

Hi, Lymm!

Sorry for omit telling it was a compressed file. I apologize.

Regards!

@NARAYANK991

Hi!

Will be adding a viewer, I guess. Keep you informed.

Regards!

@Hui

Hi!

Thanks for the lifeguard.

Regards!

Thank you Hui and SirJB7 I will keep trying. I think it needs adapting to work fully with excel 2003.

Hi This is my resulting file using the macro and it doesnt seem to find user forms. Cheers Lymm

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20269099/FindUserForms2.xls

Hi Lymm ,

The problem is the "Process Folder" command button ; I do not know how it happened or what happened , but the button in your file is just a shape , not a command button.

What you can do is click on the DEVELOPER menu item , click on the INSERT option , click on the first item ( BUTTON ) in the FORM CONTROLS section.

Right click on this newly created button , click on the ASSIGN MACRO menu item , and assign the following macro from the list : LoadWorkbooksInfo

Now , if you click on the button , it should process the files and display the results.

Narayan

If you check the file I posted the results are there. I just ran the code from the macros list, no user forms were listed.

Hi Lymm ,

Sorry , but when I run the same macro ( LoadWorkbooksInfo ) in my folders , the userforms are listed.

Narayan

Hi, I guess it doesnt work with 2003 then. Thanks for your help I will just have to do it manually, Cheers Lymm

Hi Lymm ,

I don't think we should give up ! Can you try the following and see what you get ?

1. Open the workbook which contains the userform , and in the Immediate Window of VBA , type in the following :

[pre]
Code:
?ActiveWorkbook.VBProject.VBComponents.Count
See what number you get.

2.  Type in the following :

?ActiveWorkbook.VBProject.VBComponents(1).Type
[/pre]
See what number you get.

Replace the number 1 in step 2 above , with numbers 2 , 3 ,... till the number you got in step 1 above e.g. if the count in step 1 was 6 , try step 2 with numbers 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 and 6.

If the result of step 2 is 3 any time , it means Excel is recognizing the userform in the workbook ; there is no reason why SirJB7's macro shouln't work correctly.

Narayan

Back