• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Hidden spin button revealed on mouseover?

Knaledge

Hello!

I want to maintain a clean appearance with a tracking sheet I've created. While looking at customer feedback, I am tracking the "types" of feedback received. Right now, I have to manually hop back/forth between my UI and the Excel sheet and manually type in say... 5 is now 6.

I added spin buttons to each cell I am tracking, though it looks... messy. Cluttered. Busy.

Is there any way to hide these spin buttons and reveal them only when mouseover occurs on them?

Thanks!

I am not sure if such features are available without writing a macro that would monitor entire workbook. But if you have just a few values, you could use in-cell drop downs. They are clean and hide automatically when cell is not active. See here: http://chandoo.org/wp/2008/08/07/excel-add-drop-down-list/

Unfortunately I have to account for a potential "infinite" number of reports. Basically, I'm monitoring a database that contains customer inquiries.

As I note certain types of inquiries (say... billing related or product related), I want to track this with a number. Each time I notice this kind of report, I "tick" the number up by one. A counter.

However, doing this manually is a chore and spin buttons DO work - just are a bit ugly.

Unfortunately, Data Validations wouldn't fit my desire because I can have a lot of different numbers in there.

Thanks anyhow Chandoo! I really like this site a lot and it's terribly helpful! I think we'll be in touch as I have a few things I want to create in a dashboard and your site is just the ticket.

Chandoo - could I use Worksheet_SelectionChange?

So that... when the cell isn't active (highlighted), the form control is hidden? I don't know HOW to do this but some searching provided a few indicators this could do that.

Back