• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Help!! Pivot Table is not allowing me to do Calculated Items

Rania Alissa

Need Help
Attached is a file with a PIVOT Table showing Actual vs, Budget "Income Statement" for 3 years.
I would like to add the following Calculated Items but it is not allowing me to do so. Any thoughts or inspiration.
  1. Gross Profit
  2. Gross Profit %
  3. Net Profit
  4. Net Profit%
Any ideas or suggestions regarding which conditional formatting icons or styles is the best visualization of field "Variance %".
I am using Excel 2007
Thanks
Rania

Attachments

• Pivot Table does not allow Calculated Item.xlsx
    66.4 KB · Views: 0
Hi Rania ,

The technical reason why you cannot insert a calculated item is one thing , but the basic point is how are you going to calculate profit given that you do not have cost price in your raw data ?

Can you specify how you intend to calculate gross and net profit using the data that you have in the workbook ?

Narayan

Narayan
Thanks so much for offering to help. For purpose of this CASE STUDY the formulas are below. Your thoughts are appreciated.
  1. Gross Profit = Total Revenue- COGS
  2. Gross Profit % = ((Total Revenue - COGS)/Revenue)*100%
  3. Net Profit = Gross Profit - Total Expenses
  4. Net Profit % = ((Gross Profit - Total Expenses)/Revenue)*100%
Rania

Narayan
To see the formulas go the TAB 3 in the attached file in this email. The formulas of the calculations are there.
Thanks for your help
Rania

Attachments

• Pivot Table does not allow Calculated Item.xlsx
    69 KB · Views: 0
Hi Narayan
Thank you very much.
Are the field items in the rows calculated items? I was not able to see the formulas from the file you sent.
Is this the only way it can be done where I have to hide the ITEMS? What is causing this to happen?
Rania

Hi Rania ,

The solution you are referring to has been given by Somendra Misra ; I am still working on it , and the whole subject of Pivot Tables is very confusing to me.

See the attached file , where I have created a Pivot Table , on Sheet3 , from the range :

=Data!$A$2:$G$687

There is a reason I have defined it this way.

As you can see , there are 3 calculated items , and their definitions are on Sheet4.

The calculated item NET PROFIT is not possible , since the addition of the individual item labels causes the total length to exceed the limit of 255 characters ; if you can reduce the length of the row labels or if there is another way to calculate this , even this can be done ; I will look into this later , since I am short of time at present.

What I want to explain is that the reason you are unable to create a calculated item is still not clear to me ; when the range is anywhere between :

=Data!$A$2:$G$21 ------ for January 2012

and

=Data!$A$2:$G$685 ----- one row short of the entire table

the calculated items which have been inserted are displayed correctly ; the moment I add the row 686 so that the entire table is used for the Pivot Table , the calculated item rows disappear !

Thereafter , what ever I do to modify the source data range , the same error message keeps appearing , and nothing can be done till I delete the sheet and recreate the Pivot Table once more.

Narayan

Attachments

• Pivot Table does not allow Calculated Item (1).xlsx
    82 KB · Views: 2
Back