• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Help needed: Linear/nonlinear optimization problem (Solver)

Hi guys. I am currently working on an simple optimization problem that has a two non-linear constraint. Nevertheless, I want to solve this problem (I am required to do so) using Simplex LP and I struggle how to convert these constraints into linear constraints or how to approach this problem in general.

To make it clearer, a mathematical formulation of this problem would be:

Maximize R=550x+1100y

where quantities x and y have to be chosen in order to maximize R.

There are 4 linear constraints (I know how to handle them) and 2 nonlinear constraints, which both include a ratio of x and y:

(5,379+x)/(3,260+y) ≥ 1.4
(5,379+x)/(3,260+y) ≤ 1.75

I attached the Excel file for this problem. Would really appreciate your help :)

Best Tom

Attachments

• Maximization Problem.xlsx
    14.2 KB · Views: 6
Tom

Firstly, Welcome to the Chandoo.org Forums

As has been pointed out, it is generally bad practice to cross post with telling us you are cross posting.
This is because we may be wasting our, freely donated, time to solve your problem, that may have been already solved elsewhere and vise versa!
We solve problems for free and wasting time on your solution, if it solved elsewhere, is time that somebody else should be receiving

Please read the sites rules at: https://chandoo.org/forum/threads/site-rules-new-users-please-read.294/

In regards to your question try the following Solver Parameters

Now please return to all those sites and tell them you have a solution.

@TomBurton_021978
"I am required to do so???"
By whom? Is this some kind of college exercise we are helping with?

Returning to your question, the constraints can be linearised by multiplying through by (3,260+y) and rearranging the terms.

Back