• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

HELP! List formatting

ibexcel

hello all,
If there is a list in excel with a blank colored cell between each entry, how do I incorporated outside information in alphabetical order in the list?
In the file, there is already a small list with corresponding numbers in an adjoining cell. Each data entry is separated by a narrow yellow cell. how do I add the red text items into the already existing list in alphabetical order while maintaining the current formatting of the list?
(In actuality, I have to do it a list with several hundred entries.)

Attachments

• forum question.xlsx
    9.7 KB · Views: 4
I can only think of quite convoluted ways of doing this.
Why do you want to do this? Is it just for display purposes, or are the blank rows going hold some data at some point?
Maybe we can hold the data in a conventional way on another (perhaps hidden) sheet and use formulae to display the data as you want. For example, if you have a conventional (without blank rows) table on a sheet Sheet2 with headers in row 1 and data in row 2 and below, which you can sort normally and add to in the usual way, you can have in another sheet, the same headers as in Sheet2 in the same columns, then in cell A2 this formula:
Code:
=IFERROR(IF(ISBLANK(INDIRECT("Sheet2!R" & ROW()/2+1 & "C" & COLUMN(),FALSE)),"",INDIRECT("Sheet2!R" & ROW()/2+1 & "C" & COLUMN(),FALSE)),"")
which you can copy across and down as much as you need. Then, as a once-only exercise, you can reduce the height of the odd numbers rows and colour them yellow.
Now any changes in the Sheet2 table will display as you want it to in the other sheet.

Last edited:
Back