• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Good VBA Reference?

DonMinter

This post is directed specifically to VBA folks, but of course anyone with an opinion is welcome to chime in.

My situation: I'm very well-versed in programming. I have done some minor VBA programming nearly 10 years ago, but I've been working in other environments much more recently. I already understand OOP and the older "Structured Programming" methods of coding.

My needs: A good reference for VBA that does not try to teach me what a variable is as opposed to a constant, doesn't explain the word "iterate," or other basic programming concepts. Something along the lines of Excel Help, but with a bit more structure and more complex code with simple, to-the-point explanations.

Hui's recent post with the code to iterate through a list would be the kind of code snippets that would be about the right "bite size" for me to look at, especially if it had an explanation to go with it.

It need not be necessarily Excel-centered, as I'm almost certain my next project is going to have to interface Access with Excel for it to work most easily. I just want to get in to VBA again, and get myself back up to speed.

I'm overseas, so an electronic, downloadable version would be ideal. It can be free or not.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Don

You can't go past Excel 2010 Power Programming with VBA by John Walkenbach

http://www.spreadsheetpage.com/index.php/book/C45/

Actually you can't go past asking questions here for free...

Thanks, Hui. I've got the link up now. I see Amazon links on that site. I hope there are download/ebook versions, as well.

I'm sure I'll be asking questions here. In particular, the last time I did VBA, I remember having problems getting the interface with Windows (print, file loads/saves, etc) to work right.

I was going to say:

I use the 07 of the Power Programming book. It's great. It also comes with a PDF file of the book and a bunch of sample files.

Hi, DonMinter!

Just found this link within a mail that someone I don't know dropped into my inbox a few moments ago. I don't know what it's about but maybe you do.

If I'm asked I'd say the actual truth: I'd swear I've never opened it and even deleted it.

link? what link?

Regards!

Hi Don Minter,

Yesterday I downloaded this book but from first few pages i found it a bit more difficult then J-Walk's book for Excel 2007:

http://www.freewebs.com/weews/Excel_VBA_Ref.pdf

Regards,

Faseeh

Looking through the Kindle book now. So far it's just about the right speed. I'll be looking through your link shortly, Faseeh. Thanks for the tip.

Don

Hi, DonMinter!

I've just done it after clicking send on my previous post.

Regards!

PS: analogue background, I guess... VB.NET, C#, mainframes, DBA, SQL... advise just in case :)

Back