• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

getting values from combo box

maradykstra

Hello,

I have a list of months (Jan-Dec) with data next to each month. I created a combo box and specified the range and the cell link. When I choose a month from the combo box, I'd like the data for that month to appear but it's not working. Do I need to put a formula in so the combo box knows to choose that data for that month?

Thank you for your help.

JaElle

The Combo Box only returns the position of the item in the combo box not the item itself

You will need to do a V/HLookup or Offset to retrieve the actual value in another cell

Hui,

Thanks for your information.But infact I need more information on how do I go about with it. I need more detailed info on that.

Here are the questions -

1. I have 5 combo boxes which related to each other. I would tell your their heads -

Year>>2010,2011 --- Time>>51,52,1,2,3,4,5,Dec 2010, Jan 2011. Team>>1,2,3. Names>>(30 Names),Metric>>(10).

2. Now I want to know how do I produce results based on that. For Example - If anyone selects 2010, then only 51,52 & Dec 2010 should appear in time. And also, many such filters in combo boxes. Can I actually create such stuff with ComboBoxes.

3.I dont know the Cell Link part. I rather didnt understand it. Can you please explain me or help in detail about it. Also, there would be more and more names coming in future. But, I dont understand how to hide the blank rows in the whole range. I have got to understan about offset. But I am not clear with its use.

4. Also,I need to show charts based on the selection. I have seen some dashboard stuff from chandoo, but didnt get it. Also, this is actually a dashboard report. I know excel well. But mostly on referencing with vlookups, if, sumifs, choose, len and such formulas.

5. I also want to know whether I can make this in macros. If yes, then there's not much stuff on net about it. It all shows more for ListBoxes. Are the codes in VBA for ListBox and ComboBox Same?

I am not so rich enough to buy some online tutorials. I actually want to send the file which I am working upon. Actually this is for a job which has been given to me. I am left with another 5 days to work upon it and send it back. Somebody please help me with understanding Excel Macros.

Thank You.

Back