1. Welcome to Chandoo.org Forums. Short message for you

Hi Guest,

Thanks for joining Chandoo.org forums. We are here to make you awesome in Excel. Before you post your first question, please read this short introduction guide. When posting or responding to questions please remember our values at Chandoo.org are: Humility, Passion, Fun, Awesomeness, Simplicity, Sharing Remember that we have people here for whom English is not there first language and we need to allow for this in our dealings.

Yours,
    Chandoo
  2. Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

3. When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Format a Text Box shape with Automatic Colour Gradient Stops

Discussion in 'Discuss Data Visualizations and Charting' started by Pete Mccann, May 27, 2018.

1. Pete Mccann

Pete Mccann Member

Hello, is it possible to format a Text Box to simulate a % completion progress bar by automatically selecting one (or two) gradient stops. The attached file shows how I do this manually at present.

Attached Files:

2. Nebu

Nebu Excel Ninja

Hi

May be something like this?

THanks

Attached Files:

Pete Mccann likes this.
  3. Pete Mccann

Pete Mccann Member

Hi Nebu - very nice. I didn't think of adding a small chart to the text box. This creates the right view and shows the information clearly. I've made a small modification to the chart (attached). Do you think it would be possible to add the Start and Finish dates automatically to the X-Axis of the chart (instead of having the % complete as the X-axis). In the attached I've added these dates as Text boxes linked to the source. Many thanks.

Attached Files:

4. Belleke

Belleke Active Member

Or something like this?

Attached Files:

Pete Mccann likes this.
  5. Pete Mccann

Pete Mccann Member

Thank you Belleke, this is a very nice solution too. My original idea was to have a floating text box that is part of a chart so that when chart data was updated, the Text box Progress bar was also updated. I can imagine other scenarios where your report form could be used so thank you for your help and ideas. Best regards.
  6. Nebu

Nebu Excel Ninja

Hi:

May be overlap the graphs and show the axis as attached?

Thanks

Attached Files:

7. Pete Mccann

Pete Mccann Member

Hi Nebu, thanks for this message. I had thought of overlapping two charts but when Excel calculates the range of dates for the X-Axis, the start and finish dates do not correspond to the two dates I was looking for. See image attached.

Attached Files:

8. Nebu

Nebu Excel Ninja

Hi:

Find the attached. I have customised the axis

Thanks

Attached Files:

9. Pete Mccann

Pete Mccann Member

Hi Nebu. Thank you for spending time on this question. If the Start Date or the Finish date changes then the dates in the chart axes do not change. Unfortunately this is a scenario that will happen.
  10. Nebu

Nebu Excel Ninja

Hi:

This macro version will automatically adjust the axis when you make the changes to dates.

Thanks

Attached Files:

11. Pete Mccann

Pete Mccann Member

Thanks Nebu - this is perfect.