• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Filtering through Values

suemol

I am creating a excel workbook to do analysis on database tables and indexes. Normally I will download a dump of both tables & indexes an then categorize them.

Problem is that I want to separate tables and indexes using different sheets for each area. Currently I am using vlookup to extract tables since the names are off-course unique. Tables can have multiple indexes though. This is done easily in MS Access, but I don't want to use multiple applications if possible. Any ideas on how I can get indexes correctly extracted.

Example

Table_Name Type

EDI40 TABLE

EDI40~0 INDEX

EDIDC TABLE

EDIDC~0 INDEX

EDIDC~2 INDEX

EDIDC~3 INDEX

EDIDC~4 INDEX

EDIDS TABLE

EDIDS~0 INDEX

EDIDS~1 INDEX

EDIDS~2 INDEX

Suemol

Would importing and then converting to a Table (Excel 2007) or a Filter Auto Filter (Excel 2003) do what you want

You can then interactively setup different filters for the different table Types

Similarly A pivot table will do the same

Hui,

Thanks for the suggestions. I will have a look at converting to table and see how it works out.

Hui,

I have been playing around with your suggestions. I am still finding it difficult to filter multiple tables using tables & pivot tables. Doing it for one table is not a problem

Typically i would have a list of tables like

EDI40

EDIDC

EDIDS

I want to get all index that relates to the list above in a second list

Any pointers

Back