• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Fill blank cell

Thomas Kuriakose

Respected Sirs,

We have a file where there are values year wise with blank and non-blank cells. For the blank cells we need to copy the last non-empty cell value.

I have copied the non-empty cell value marked in yellow in the attached file for your kind perusal.

The data is in two sections "Old" and "New".

For blank cells after the non blank cell, the value needs to be copied towards right.

For any cell which is blank and does not have a value in the beginning as in case M3, the succeeding value in N3 needs to be copied (towards left) based on creation date in A3:A114.

I tried some formulas (columns Y TO AB) to capture the non-blank cell values and the number of cells blank, but could not understand how to populate the blank cells based on the non-blank cell values.

I have entered the first row 3 in yellow the desired results.

Kindly guide on the formula to be used to get the cells filled.

Thank you very much for your kind support.

with regards,
thomas

Attachments

• Fill blank cells.xlsx
    33.9 KB · Views: 4
Hi,

Your request is not clear to me, could you put 5 lines of example, showing where do you put the results and the expected results.

Regards
Bosco

Respected Sir,

Thank you very much for your support on this query.

Kindly find attached the revised file with 5 lines of data duly filled.

The yellow color cells are the copied cells and the no color cells are the existing data. The requirement is to fill the blank cells as shown in the yellow cells.

Thank you very much once again,

with regards,
thomas

Attachments

• Fill blank cells.xlsx
    34.2 KB · Views: 3
Hi Thomas,

Highlight the region where you want the values filled.
On the home ribbon, go to "Find and Select", then "Go To Special" followed by "Blanks".
In the "white" selection, but a formula referring to the cell at the left. Say A2 contains a value and B2 not, in B2 you put =A2. You then confirm with SHIFT ENTER.
If the cells are really blank, it should work.

Last edited:
Respected Sir,

Thank you so much for this insight and your support.

I will try this and get back to you.

Just to share, the actual data is having 5k rows and hence wanted your guidance and support,

very much appreciated,

with regards,
thomas

Back