• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Extract symbol (format) of currency from each cell

mgesh2002

Dear Friends,

I want to extract symbol (format) of currency from each cell.

Eg: In "$10", I want to extract "$" and "10" in different cells. Sometimes currency may change from $ to €, £. And, the most of the cells are formatted (currency).

Can this be done through UDF?

Hi murugesh,

Can you please try the below function..

In VBA > Insert a New Module and paste the below Code

[pre]
Code:
Function GetCurrency(ByVal r As Range) As String
Application.Volatile
Static RegX As Object
If RegX Is Nothing Then Set RegX = CreateObject("VBScript.RegExp")
With RegX
.Global = True
.Pattern = "[0-9-.,s]"
GetCurrency = .Replace(r.Text, "")
End With
End Function
[/pre]
In Excel sheet, if A2 contain a Numeric Figure, and formatted as Currency / Accounting, use UDF as =GetCurrency(A2)

Regards,

Deb

Deb, That's Splendid! Now, I can extract the symbol from the currency thru your code (A1->A2). Also, need help to extract numbers from the currency (A1->A3).

Hi !     Another way in "VBA only" :

[pre]
Code:
Function CurSymb(Rg As Range)
L = Left(LTrim(Rg.Text), 1)
R = Right(RTrim(Rg.Text), 1)
CurSymb = IIf(Val(L), IIf(Val(R), "", R), L)
End Function

Normally you don't need an UDF to extract the numbers from the currency !

You just have to enter a formula in a cell like "=A1" and apply a standard format ...

If you really want an UDF :

Function CurVal(Rg As Range)
CurVal = Rg.Value
End Function
[/pre]

Hi Murugesh,

Here is a formula based approach to get your numbers from curreny symbol.

Say, in A1, you have $101.

Now, in B1 write: =MIN(IFERROR(FIND({0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9},A1),"")) (CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER)to enter it as an array formula

in C1 write: SUMPRODUCT(- -ISNUMBER(MID(A1,ROW($A$1:$A$400),1)+0)) enter

in D1 write: MID(A1,B1,C1) enter

@Marc: Nice one...I like it...

Kaushik

There are some more techniques discussed here:

http://www.ozgrid.com/forum/showthread.php?t=162314&p=595693#post595693

@ Shri..

Thanks for help to find it out.. Whenever I found some good techniques in any forum.. I copy the code in my OneNote and adapt the same when required.. My OneNote is full of lots of UDF like that, and my OneNote's paste link option was also disabled.. :)

You may found a lots of techniques which are adapted by me and inspired by you / Marc and many other..:)

Happy to learn and share..

Regards,

Deb

@Deb,

Great codes are mostly stolen. No offence. This is written at the foreword of:

VBA Developer's Handbook[2nd edition] by Ken Getz and Mike Gilbert.

So I personally don't see anything "unusual" in it.

Edit:= If this comes out as rude or offending post, I'd like to say sorry beforehand :)

@SirJB7

Hi, myself!

So long...

Stolen code? Who in the hell could...? Oh, I see, it was...

Code isn't stealable, either it's copyrighted and should be protected or shared upon certain conditions or simply copylefted. And of course that good and respectable people obey and respect this conditions, otherwise we must be wondering in what kind of world are we living.

Stealing code is comparable to taking coins from a blind's jar, it's like getting a candy from a baby, it isn't what I should call ethically -don't even mention morally- correct, it's... I have no words...

Regards!

PS: it's so useful sometimes that in their hurry perpetrators forget citing the source. And that's the major sin!

PS2: I swear with my right hand on the first edition of the book with the complete works of Socrates that I've never even think about doing such a disgusting thing... and I won't never do... (until next time I need to)

PS3: Who was the funny guy who added the in brackets addendum?

Friends, hope we can proceed further into the actual post.

@Marc: Great, thanks for the function (CurSymb), it works fine. But, CurVal does not give me the result. Please find the attachment.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6lxbwq24nkl3c63/Marc%20and%20Kaushik.xlsx

@kaushik: Thanks for your thought... But, I could not use the formulas, as I tried in my workbook it does not give me the expected result. So, please check the attachment and advise me.

@Deb: You can add my name too in the inspired list. Great Job. Since, I am learning VBA, I am very keen to understand what is in the code and how it works, so if you could explain the functionality of the function (GetCurrency) would be much appreciable.

Hi Murugesh ,

Marc's functions work correctly.

The problem is that all UDFs work on the basis of worksheet recalculation ; when you change the cell format , the UDFs are not triggered. Press CTRL ALT F9 and the functions will be recalculated and you will get the correct results.

Another problem is that when you format a cell as currency with the symbol , the symbol will appear in the display , but not in the formula bar ; the cell itself should just contain the numeric value. If your cell contains £111 , then it is no longer a number. Ensure that your cells contain only the numeric values , and the currency symbols appear because you have formatted the cells with the appropriate currency format.

Narayan

One more point : for the recalculation, just add a line  
Code:
Application.Volatile

in the beginning of the function like in the Deb's post ...

If you really need it Murugesh, I could optimize my CurVal function

for the case of a string cell instead of a numeric value currency formatted ...

@Marc: I am very much interested to see the optimized function, just to update and learn something from it. Also, I must appreciate you and all this blog members for their great work.

Hi Murugesh,

If its for study, then you may happy to read the below case study..

http://chandoo.org/wp/2012/06/19/extract-numbers-from-text-excel/

Regards,

Deb

@Marc L and Deb,

Suggestion: Both codes [Marc L's optimized solution] can be added to "the vault".

@Murugesh: The solution posted by Deb uses a powerful engine call "Regular Expressions". It is commonly used for picking up patterns which would be very difficult otherwise to detect programmatically. And it is used by multiple programs.

Deb's code uses it with what's called late binding (RegX is declared as generic object). If you want to refer it using early binding then goto Tools | References | Browse and Select VBScript.dll and it will give you references for Microsoft VBScript Regular Expressions 5.5.

A number defined in various formats which can be a currency number which is fed to the engine through pattern. See this discussion here:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/354044/what-is-the-best-u-s-currency-regex

This is a site which has free tutorials for RegExp:

http://www.regular-expressions.info/tutorial.html

You should not take it up unless you want to be a full time programmer or want to pursue it out of personal interest and you are willing to spend time.

Murugesh, these are the update functions :

[pre]
Code:
Function CurSymb(Rg As Range)
Application.Volatile
L = Left(LTrim(Rg.Text), 1)
R = Right(RTrim(Rg.Text), 1)
CurSymb = IIf(Val(L), IIf(Val(R), "", R), L)
End Function

Function CurVal(Rg As Range)
Application.Volatile
T = Trim(Rg.Text)
CurVal = CDbl(IIf(Val(T), T, Mid(T, 2)))
End Function
[/pre]

(Nothing new for the CurSymb function.)

These functions work with only one character currency's symbol.

For currencies typed like "EUR" or "USD" for example, another code is needed ...

Edit : a problem can occur with "mixed decimal separators", again a special code is needed.

@ All

What is the need for the second and third line in first function. i.e

`R = Right(RTrim(Rg.Text), 1)

CurSymb = IIf(Val(L), IIf(Val(R), "", R), L)`

I am looking for some vba food for thought :D ( am nowhere in vba!! lolz)

Regards,

Hi Faseeh,

* $120.05 and 120.05€ both are text with currency symbol.

* Either starting letter in CurrSymb (defined by L) or last letter is CurrSymb (Defined by R)

Code:
IIf(Val(L), IIf(Val(R), "", R), L)

If 1st letter is Numeric then pick Last Letter, and if Last letter is Numeric then pick 1st letter.

[pre][code]If L is a value = false then choose L
else if R is a Value = false then choose R
[/pre]
Something like.

=IF(ISNUMBER(VALUE(LEFT(A1))),IF(ISNUMBER(VALUE(RIGHT(A1,1))),"",RIGHT(A1,1)),LEFT(A1))[/code]

I hope now its clear..

@murugesh,

If you are interested, you may found this useful.. :)

http://chandoo.org/wp/2012/06/19/extract-numbers-from-text-excel/

Regards,

Deb

Nice Deb' !

Just a precision to Faseeh : generally in Basic, "Val(L)" in a test is the short way for "Val(L) <> 0" ...

Equal for a boolean, "If B then" means "If B = True then" (as True = -1 so <> 0) ...

Hi Deb & Marc L,

Thanks a lot for this explanation. I will keep asking what appears alien to me :)

Regards,

Faseeh

Back