• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Extract dates in order (news to oldest) that meet criteria (e.g. name)

Rodrigo Pombo

Hi: I would be grateful if you can help me with a formula looking at a large range that meets one criteria (i.e. a name) and extract all correspondent dates BUT in order having the most recent date first in the list (extract).

Many, many thanks in advance

Hi: I would be grateful if you can help me with a formula looking at a large range that meets one criteria (i.e. a name) and extract all correspondent dates BUT in order having the most recent date first in the list (extract).

Many, many thanks in advance

Please upload a sample file to help us help you...

With Office 365 dynamic arrays one would have
= SORT( FILTER( Table1, Table1[Name]=selected), 2, 1)

Previously,
= IF( k<=SUM( SIGN(Table1[Name]=selected ) ),
INDEX( Table1, MINIFS( k, Table1[Name], selected, Table1[Date], SMALL( IF( Table1[Name]=selected, Table1[Date] ), k ) ), {1,2,3} ),
"" )

or some similar formula with the greatly loved direct cell referencing. Not for the faint-hearted, which is probably why filtering and sorting are normally manual processes.

With Office 365 dynamic arrays one would have
= SORT( FILTER( Table1, Table1[Name]=selected), 2, 1)

Previously,
= IF( k<=SUM( SIGN(Table1[Name]=selected ) ),
INDEX( Table1, MINIFS( k, Table1[Name], selected, Table1[Date], SMALL( IF( Table1[Name]=selected, Table1[Date] ), k ) ), {1,2,3} ),
"" )

or some similar formula with the greatly loved direct cell referencing. Not for the faint-hearted, which is probably why filtering and sorting are normally manual processes.

Thank you Peter for your help. Unfortunately I'm using 2010 (company thing) so minifs won't work. But I will keep these two solutions in my catalog, thanks again.

Rodrigo
If you only want the dates and not the records they belong to, the formula simplifies to
= IF( k<=SUM( SIGN(Table1[Name]=selected ) ), SMALL( IF( Table1[Name]=selected, Table1[Date] ), k ), "" )
where 'k' is an index running from 1 to the number of records in the table and 'selected' is the particular name used as a filter criterion.

Choose your name in cell I1 and see your dates in order from cell H4.

Attachments

• Chandoo42150Sample File.xlsx
    15.6 KB · Views: 7
Back